Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Some HRs are nice, some bad, and some downright terrible. I remember once an HR told the trainee associates, while terminating his internship right before he was about to get a job that fresher ko koi job deta nhi h. Is it just me or the law firm HRs are extremely bizarre and inconsiderate.
the head hr of a t1 once told us interns "Imagine you are a doctor and you get a call at 2 AM that someone had a heart attack. You can't say 'sorry, work life balance'. Being a lawyer is like that, all-nighters are common. As long as it's not more than 20 nights a month, it's fine."

this is one of the t1s that has an awful reputation wrt how it treats people, worse than the other t1s
This is fine. Lawyers and doctors are supposed to be proactive, only if itโ€™s extremely urgent.

Personal view, one may differ.
Okay I understand the HR at law firms are not as professional as maybe HR departments at Google, Amazon or Blackstone group (who are all hated and incompetent in some way too), you have to understand that nobody who studies for HR, wants to work at Law firms unless they are rejected at listed companies etc, which hire en masse and pay well. So yes, you don't exactly have the cream of the HR students of Indian in law firms.

Second, from my experience, law firms are shops where the MP and senior EPs are King, they decide everything. EVERYTHING. So the HR necessarily asks them before even saying a word or replying to a email. They are mouthpieces.

So as per procedure, your situation would be, the partner didn't wanna hire in the 2024 batch as didn't wanna shed money, but still wanted free labour, so they are making you work so you are no longer "fresher".

Also is the firm you are referring to the Mumbai office at D** *****. Maybe I know you lol.
Someone guessed the firm right above and the location is Mumbai, but idk what you mean by D** *****
Law firms in general have really bad HRs. Most of them are lazy leftists with liberal arts or humanities degrees (such people need to be paid less than MBAs). Firms don't like investing in HR because it's a cost centre for them and a lot of the HR work is usually just done by the partner himself.
I think โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ from โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ has to be the worst in this regard. Makes one's life so difficult for no reason.
The HR of a Tax Tier 1 firm told me to tell my college(NLS) to adjust their exam around their internship slots. My exams were finishing on the 1st of June-Saturday, 2nd was a Sunday, so I requested the HR- Mr.โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ to let me begin my internship from the 3rd- which is ideally when any normal law firm would've anyway begun from. This genius replies and says- tell your college to adjust your exam dates for your internship because we can't offer internships from odd dates.

Ridiculous. I didn't do the internship then and thankfully so.