Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
The incident at Jadavpur University is truly horrific: stripped naked, beaten, burnt with cigarettes, what not. On the internet, everyone is using the incident to badmouth Jadavpur and the leftist student unions there. But at least the police have arrested the culprits and there is media scrutiny happening of these unions. Also, the admin is being questioned. On the other hand, ragging at elite, non-unionised places like NLUs have been completely swept under the carpet.

So I think this is the time for us to introspect and ask: Why have NLU students rarely been punished, going back to the 1990s? How can we accept some terrible raggers graduating without any blemish on their record? And then doing LLMs abroad on prestigious scholarships, or occupying partnerships at top law firms, or arguing landmark cases before the Supreme Court? Why also have admins not been held accountable? Apart from today's VC, we even need to ask tough questions of "holy cows" like Madhava Menon, NL Mitra, MP Singh, BS Chimni, Ranbir Singh etc, on whether they did enough to prevent ragging.

Time for some self-reflection...
Ragging is almost non-existent in most of the top NLUs now. I don't think that the scene at NLUs was ever as bad as it has been in Jadavpur University. U can't compare positive interaction with dancing naked or walking on the railing of 4th floor naked!
WTF??? How can you justify dancing naked and call it β€œpositive interactionβ€œ? If such a thing still happens at NLUs, those responsible must be expelled and reported to the police.
Did my reply looked Iike I am justifying dancing naked?

I said that it doesn't happen in NLUs.

Positive interactions do take place in NLUs but it's very different from what had happened in JU
In NUJS, a zero ragging policy has been adopted by NKC. 2018 was the last year when any sort of ragging happened. Now NUJS can come to such situation where juniors don't even respect seniors and call out them in whatsApp group of Campus community without any salutation. It's both good and bad that nowadays no senior-junior hierarchy exists at NUJS
No such hierarchy existed before either. Juniors and seniors were close, but no junior would have to do the bidding of the seniors if they weren't totally comfortable with it.
I agree. Although ragging is bad, the other extreme where juniors don’t respect seniors is also bad. Some juniors have even used BC and MC gaali openly against juniors. They are me becoming the raggers.
So the way to "correct" juniors is mental and physical abuse is what you are saying? Also who do you think you are demanding "respect"? Just cleared the exam a little earlier and now you are king? Also "calling out" happens because of the stupid stuff you get yourself into which blemishes the name of the college as a whole.

Your comment reeks of entitlement and hierarchal mindset. Wait till you get to law firms to be degraded by that and then rant about it again.
While the incident for ragging is a common phenomenon in most hostels, I am not sure if NLU students are ragged like this. Not that I belong from one, but we all have friends scattered around colleges.

Secondly, the situation with Jadavpur is very different. Firstly the people who participated in torturing the said student(s) were mostly passouts. They obtained their degrees back in 2017-2019 and have somehow managed to remain back in the university campus sheerly because of their political connections within the leftist outfits.

Thirdly, the outlash of resentment at JU comes for multifaceted reasons. As a guy from Calcutta, JU has always defended their abject substance abuse with the phrase "Agey chance peye dekha" which translates to first get an admission within the campus. If that was not all, the college campus is a breeding ground for various student unions, most of which have been known to be vocal about the injustices perpetrated by the government. They have harassed the Governor and other faculties within their campus for what they claimed as their democratic right (the veracity of this claim is not something that I am questioning). However, when it came down to one of their own students, the unions and most of the administration went silent or deflected the questions with very outlandish answers.

As for self-reflection, I come from a state university with the worst of managements, but we were never ragged. The only compulsion that we faced from time to time was to openly support the political party, whichever that may be, was in power. Bullies thrive in groups and the silent treatment do not work out. If you have been bullied, please speak out and get help. The internet, despite sometimes being cruel, is a wonderful place and you will get your share of justice.