Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Law firm Litigation Associate with PQE 5 based in Mumbai. Have been trying to find ways to strike out into independent practice in the last couple of years. However for a first generation Advocate and from a service family (absolutely no business people among relatives and friends) getting direct clients has proven difficult.

I have wondered whether instead approaching other independent Advocates (with a client base) for referred drafting and appearance work is a better option to get started and getting seen in court ? There are many Advocates who have a lot of clients, but their team size is small (or they don't have any juniors at all) and they can't attend to all their commitments simultaneously.

Can I offer to do drafting (and low stakes appearances) for them for a nominal fee ? I have already gotten some work like this. But is this scaleable and should I resign from my job to pursue this full time ?

Please note that all the referred work that I got - I had to actively solicit work from these Advocates - in the sense of forcing an introduction and handing out a card. Is that something very negative about an independent practitioner's career ?

Is it possible to be eventually earn enough to match my current law firm salary (around 6 LPA) through such independent referred work ?

How do I hedge against disruptions like long covid lockdowns etc ?

Independent litigators on this site (preferably Mumbai based), just want to pick your brains on this ?
If you are earning 6LPA after 5PQE at a law firm then it's better to slowly transition into litigation and yes after a year or so you would be able to match that salary
Having seen various advocates make it as a law student, I will tell you that law firm litigation is nothing and adds nothing to court advocacy. You must start as a novice or beginner in the profession under a senior for several years before you get your own clients. Asking for referrals does not help unless you have very strong relationships with such advocates, or they will refer you all the wrong (stingy or no pay, uncooperative, corrupt, abusive, cunning, double gamer) clients.
You need to hedge at least a year's worth of expenses (Mumbai expenses) in savings before taking the plunge.