Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Tweet by Justin Trudeau today:

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1672661292270731264

Some people have been debating about this online. Many people are saying that 2S means same-sex, but AFAIK it means two-spirit, which refers to a tradition in the Native American community. But should we also use this in India? Does a two-spirit concept exist among adivasis and indigenous tribes in India? Also, why did Trudeau remove the β€œI” from LGBTQIA? Typo? So should it be 2SLGBTQIA?
What we should do in India is focus on more important things than the correct pronouns or correct words!
Ugh. Stop it. The point of words is communication. It is not to establish yourself as morally superior. I’ll use gay or LGBT. Because those are people whose rights I see actually being affected. They’re a community that is fighting for material thing. There are no Native American two spirits here. Indian trans people are happy to adopt any homegrown labels such as Hijra , kothi etc. but we don’t need to twist ourselves into knots trying to acknowledge every word every person has ever chosen to describe themselves. Just be a person who wants equal rights. That’s enough.
https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1709728393221009527

The "2S" means two-spirit, the extra "q" means "questioning" and the "+" means those not yet included and future categories, allowing for flexibility.

As far as 2S is concerned, it is a concept used in the case of North American indigenous people, who have a tradition where a person born biologically male can undertake a role combining traditionally male and traditional female roles, while dressing in traditionally female clothes. It's possible/probable that similar roles exist in Indian adivasi communities too.

As far as "questioning" is concerned, it's a very empathetic expression that includes people who may later identify within the binaries of male and female. Or people who prefer not to tick any box for now.

So should we use these terms in Indian law schools? Most Indian law schools simply say "LGBT" or "queer". That's all.
I'm gay as hell and I will leave the room if you try to apply that coupon code on me. Good old LGBT is fine. Most of us don't even want to be labelled with the alphabet soup unless it's specifically required in a sexual identity context.
Do you know what a luxury belief is ? This is what it is. Be better.
A 6-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 10-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.