Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
I am a new hire (fresher) in a b&f team. It's WFH for now, will have to join office in a few months. Apart from my senior who assigns me work, there's no interaction with anyone else. Sometimes, I have loads of work to do, but most of the time, I have the whole day in my hands not doing anything. I have tried asking for work, but I have observed this even in my assessment internship days at this place - I am only delegated work when there is work, otherwise my request goes without any response. I am wondering if this is normal? Should I be worried about my situation? My senior did hint at me using this time to read up on everything so that I am prepared when I come to office, but it feels weird that I am drawing a salary with practically nothing to do for days at end. Please tell me if I need to be more persistent in asking for work.
Please bhai/behen main 2 saal senior hu bas. Ye dimaag me jama lo ki kaam mil raha hai to readily leke karlo aur jab nahi hai kaam to chill karo. Dono time enjoy kar paaoge aise life and work aur aise hi tik paaoge long term. Abhi jab kaam aayegha na bhar bhar ke tab aapko ye time hi yaad aana hai.
All work is cyclical. You'll be overburdened one day, have nothing to do on the next. It's just the nature of legal work. Only the length of cycles vary by firms, and how much of a busy body your partner is.
This happens at the Junior level. Enjoy this phase cuz once you become a senior, then there's no stopping flow of work.

It happened to me also (different practice area), and I thought I was useless, but that's not the right perspective to have. Wait out your turn, learn your ropes, earn your stripes and then soon you'd wish there was less work.
Adding to OP's query, if freshers in the same team as you are getting work, is there something to be concerned about?
Definitely a cause for concern. Do not talk to any team members about this, as you never know if that person is genuine. Observe the team behavior carefully, and if you feel that it cannot be resolved, start applying elsewhere asap and leave. Never stay in a place where you are not respected and valued.
Bhai I'm going through the same issue right now. Kaam se zyaada toh kaam na hone ka tension hai. Besides that crisis of confidence ho chuki hai. I feel useless yaar.
Have heard from my seniors that this profession pays you to keep studying, reading and updating yourself. On the brighter side of things, your sr is right, you do have the time and space to read up stuff. But I don't know, it could also hint* that they would require you to be a little bit more well read than what you are rn? I am assuming. Also, have seen this in many workplaces where initially you do not get work allotted, especially when hybrid..I think as of now, you should stick to whatever it is you are doing, as I observed you mentioned you are not in a position to be looking around for another job. Ask for work, follow up, show interest and yes, use the time to read up stuff and upskill. baaki chill maaro.

Good day.