We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
First of all, I genuinely want to thank everyone here for being a guide and contributing to my journey in one way or another.
I come from a relatively small law college, and over the past few years, I’ve tried to make the most of every opportunity available to me. I’ve constantly worked on myself, both academically and professionally, and tried to build my profile through internships, research, moots, debates, and various other activities. I’m currently in my fourth year of BBA LL.B.
I’m writing this because I’d really appreciate some honest guidance on how I can improve my chances of securing an internship, and eventually a full-time opportunity, at Khaitan & Co.
I’ve previously interned with AZB & Partners and a few other reputed boutique law firms, and I’m now trying to take the next step in my career. Khaitan is a firm I genuinely aspire to work with, and I’ve applied multiple times, but unfortunately, I’ve faced rejections each time. At this point, I’m honestly trying to understand whether my college is significantly affecting my chances, or whether there are specific gaps in my profile that I need to work on.
Apart from internships, I’ve been actively involved in extracurriculars as well. I’ve participated in several MUNs, chaired committees, taken part in debates and moots, and have also worked on legal research and published research articles.
Khaitan has become somewhat of a personal goal for me. I know that sounds a little cliché, but it genuinely is something I’ve been working towards for a while. I constantly hear about the firm, learn about the work being done there, and keep thinking about what I could do to eventually become a part of it.
I’m extremely dedicated to building my career in corporate law, and whenever I take up something, I try to give it my absolute best and continuously improve myself.
So, I’d really appreciate it if people who have interned or worked at Khaitan & Co., or those who have experience recruiting for Tier-1 firms, could share some honest inputs:
What actually helps in getting shortlisted at Khaitan & Co.? What should I work on in my profile to at least get an interview opportunity? And, coming from a non-NLU/smaller law school, is there anything specific I should be doing differently?
Any genuine advice, criticism, or suggestions would honestly mean a lot. Thank you in advance!