Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
Let me share my personal experience:

I started off my career with 11k at a cosmopolitan city and the money I was paid meant I did not have the financial capacity to take a bike on an EMI.

Fortunately, my brother agreed to give his Honda Activa to me and with that, I managed my daily commute.

I spent three months at my first office with a senior who expected me stay in the office from 9.30am to 8.30pm on the weekdays and upto anywhere between 3-4pm on weekends.

I quit in my fourth month and joined a law firm as I came from a law school. I was initially paid a paltry sum but within 2 years, I managed to find a job with a very good salary.

Litigation offices can have bossy people all around who give a damn to your personal and emotional well being.

The senior I worked with was a gentleman who worked more than I did and really took care of me like his younger brother. However, it was not me in time to spend the whole day in the office and yet think thrice to go attend a family's event at 8.30 pm, for that required me to walk upto the senior and ask for a permission to leave the office before he did. Leaving office before your senior does is frowned upon, but that is an established practice and here to stay.

If you intend to continue litigating, you need to forego quite a bit on the personal front in the first six to eight years of your practice.

All the best !
Just came across this recent piece by Adv. Adit Pujari on the same subject. Its a nice read and I hope his recommendations are given effect to!

Check it out - https://www.barandbench.com/columns/preventing-brain-drain-in-the-litigation-sphere-how-do-we-make-things-easier-for-young-lawyers