Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
There are many privileges we all have, where you were born, your family background, your schooling, your gender and opportunities available because of all these things. Privilege is sometimes just the mere absence of discrimination. You cannot disclaim all privileges you have. Like with everyone, you have to make the best of what life deals you.

Even if you initially got a foot in the door, it may not translate into much. A lot of law firms take in interns through connections, but whether they train you, they take you on as an associate and how you rise at the firm depends a lot on you - unless of course you are the family of the promoters. Also, just because you are well connected, doesn't mean you don't have the right attitude or don't put in the work etc.

It is unfair, but it is also how the world functions. As you go up the ladder, honestly connections matter more than your aptitude. I am not well connected but I've had other privileges that have helped in my career. Now as someone in the senior pool, I am anxious about not having connections as it makes it harder for me to get new clients. But I work at it. Connections are not static as well. The person through whom you found work, may leave his job or your connection's position may no longer be important. Using connections are trading favours, so many of these favours are called in - the partner may expect more work if your connection is a client for instance. The world is transactional.

I get your feeling of guilt. But if it isn't you, it is someone else. About aptitude, unless you are much worse than your peers, it shouldn't matter - an internship is for learning. It honestly is like getting a spot in a good school - there is management quota.

Just don't be a dick. Acknowledge that your no-connection peers may outpace you in your career. Work hard because some of the people who have to work with you may have some prejudice because of how you came in - but that's surmountable if you put in the effort and don't name drop or act like a snob. Be kind and co-operative when you work with others.