Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
The thing about subverting spirituality and morality was to find a way to manage diversity with its demands going in divergent directions. To adopt a moral standpoint would then be to end up including some and excluding some - something which the modern state wanted to avoid in order to find legitimacy for its creation and superiority over the king-nation-kingdom types of governance which required the adhesive of local morality to bind its peoples into a single political unit.

The need to keep morality away is required, but when you are thinking in terms of administration and the state - of which law is an important part. So the law requires one to keep one's morality outside.

The unfortunate thing to happen is that people assumed that morality has to be thrown out from one's life also. The necessary compulsions for the state have been ignorantly and blindly adopted as a necessary compulsion for the citizen.

I can be moralistic about my choices depending on the quality of life I define for myself. But I cannot be moralistic about the law which governs everyone.

So let's say I won't indulge in consuming drugs or visiting prostitutes, but that does and should not stop me from taking up cases to defend someone accused of peddling drugs or pimping.

However, what has happened is that ignorant fools have taken the state's mandates and made those their private commandments.