Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/nlsiu-vice-chancellor-awarded-infosys-prize-2022-in-humanities-category-214197

Jury: Prof. Arvind | Prof. Akeel Bilgrami | Prof. Mriganka Sur | Prof. Chandrashekhar Khare | Prof. Shrinivas Kulkarni | Prof. Kaushik Basu.

The prize comes with USD 100,000 (82 lakhs)

Sudhir is the third Law School alum after Shamnad Basheer and Lawrence Liang to win the prize. This is a slap to his troll haters on LI. I have said before (and will continue to say) that these trolls are very likely students of other colleges who are jealous that Law School has Sudhir has VC. As I have also said before, these people will be better off campaigning for an alum VC at their own college instead foo.

The prize also demolishes an argument made on LI (by the same trolls, I guess) that having lots of publications is a proof of academic scholarship. Lawrence and Sudhir have limited publications, as their haters point out. But what the jury clearly did (correctly) is to look at quality over quantity. Thus, Sudhir has been awarded the Prize for "his carefully argued account of the importance of the landmark 'basic structure doctrine' adopted by the Supreme Court in 1973". Sudhir has made this argument only in his book "Democracy and Constitutionalism in India: A Study of the Basic Structure Doctrine", published by OUP. Thus, a single well-argued book or journal article is better than thousands of pointless books and articles. If you go by numbers only , then the Jindal VC has tons of international publications listed in his bio, but Sudhir has so few that he lists a Legally India article on his bio! https://www.nls.ac.in/faculty/sudhir-krishnaswamy/ Also, ironically, Shamnad had various international publications but was actually awarded the prize (rightly) for diversifying access through IDIA. 😃

Finally, Professor Kaushik Basu deserves a special mention for backing Shamnad, Lawrence and now Sudhir. He has been a big supporter of Law School alumni in a academia and also invited Lawrence to give the prestigious KC Basu Memorial Lecture, joining the ranks of Nobel Laureates like Amartya Sen and Stiglitz and people much older than him.

Congratulations once again to Sudhir and Law School!! In future, my picks for the award are two more alumni (Menaka Guruswamy and Gautam Bhatia).