Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
The source is linked below in the 'featured' comment. I agree with the second part of your answer and have addressed the same in the linked project as well. I completed the project on a short deadline as it was for a competition by Agami and hence covered only judges on whom reliable data was available + did not address complexities like this (and recognised the shortcomings of the research). It is for the same reason that I have avoided sharing this elsewhere (and requested Agami to exempt me from adding it to the Justice Hub database). I am looking to develop it further.

- Author of the research
In light of Chandrachud becoming CJI, just wondering how many first-generation lawyers went on to become either prominent HC CJs with good tenures or SC judges. Names of those currently serving/recently retired or with particularly inspirational stories would be helpful.

But what would also be helpful is numbers (either actual statistics or ballparks based on personal observation): how many SC judges are self-made, that is:
1. Don't have any first/second degree relatives who are SC/HC judges, Senior Advocates or otherwise lawyers with well-established practices
2. Don't have any first/second degree relatives who are influential politicians and could've plausibly given a significant leg-up (and material support)
Um, there can be many names. Recently retired madam Indira Banerjee, Justice moushumi Bhattacharya (Cal HC)., justice nageswara rao laavu (retd).

BUT even if they are not from "justice" family ultimately those who get elevated have contacts and blessings from big families and chambers. By big families I mean the right circle. It is natural to have contacts with big lawyers and justice when you are 3rd or 4th generation. Not a big wonder. Infact, most established lawyers I know in my district are not even charmed by elevation to HC- not their children.

It was a shock for me. They text and have whatsapp conversations with most justices on Bench in HC. Altough, their is not much favoritism which I have seen but yes friendships are there. Justices are HOOMANS too haha. That helps in getting elevated ,getting designations and work on table but jot getting favorable orders. It is very very rare.

As far as justice banerjee is concerned her senior's spouse was a sitting justice in SC when she had joined practise in SC. You can research more like this.
Contrary to assumptions, empirical data shows that majority of SC Judges are first generation lawyers. Out of 194 Judges of the Supreme Court since 1950, 96 Judges are first generation lawyers, 66 have a close relative in law, 25 have a close relative who is a HC Judge and 11 a SC Judge.

I am not saying that nepotism does not exist, it definitely plays a key role in High Court appointments and elevations but as the data shows, the elevation to the Supreme Court in most cases in primarily on merit while factors like relationships with SC/HC Judge/ Prominent persons in law do play a key role.
The link for the data is https://public.flourish.studio/story/1037222/
This was one of the winning submissions of the Open Data for Justice Challenge hosted by Agami.

Please look through the data before downvoting!
This is my work, thanks for sharing. I only included judges on whom data about family background was available from reliable sources such as leading newspapers, biographies etc.