Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
1. There's a fair amount of stable positions now, resulting in less advisory and structuring work. Hopes are on litigation which will start once audits are over. Once you've good deal of litigations, they also generate advisory. Compliance work is getting automated day by day.

2. Monotony would depend on your work portfolio. If you keep on running after new things, you'll be future proof and also have good new stuff to work on.

3 and 4. I guess only KCo has serious IDT practice. SAM, JSA and Trilegal have it but not so big. Not sure about AZB and I think L&L doesn't have it. CAM doesn't have it now. Growth depends on how's growth of practice. Generally IDT is better in work life balance. The challenge with IDT in tier 1 firm is the numbers would be smaller compared with other practice areas so might have impact on growth and comp.
Hi - I am you, just several years on. Exactly the same story. I wish I could back in time self give myself this advice. This is a dead practice area. 3 years is nothing in the long run. I would say make the switch now. Talk to every head hunter you can find and actively pursue a law firm job. Be willing to start at level 1, but join a gen corp / m&a practice area, where the opportunity to grow and move is boundless. Even if you get a small law firm, move out from IDT. Use a year or two to learn the basics of corp law in a small law firm and then apply again for a bigger law firm. None of it is rocket science. You’ll pick it up if you work hard.

You can obviously write well and will be able to handle client communication etc. Try to sell that and be honest about your motivation to switch.

With 2-4 years relevant experience in a mid size law firm you’ll be a good hire for the bigger law firms (as most people in that age bracket are leaving) and there’s always vacancy for good candidates at 2-4 years experience.

All the best! Don’t let it get you down. But do consider cutting your losses now and leaving IDT while you are still so young!