Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
I 100% agree with you - the amount of training and effort that goes into (and by) more junior associates is simply incomparable. We regularly see junior associates take up assignments that would otherwise be taken up by only SAs/PAs outside the firm. Though, the reason behind this seems rooted more in the absence of a healthy roster of mid-level associates rather than an inclination for partners to directly train associates. While the latter instinct is definitely available in abundance, there is just an obvious function of efficiency that the partners would delegate to the more senior associates if they had any. On that absence, everyone from the Day Zero prepping kid and a PA somewhere, has heard rumblings that something wrong is going on at AZB.

If I had to identify this, it would be that the culture looks outward to its associates and resources - it seems any actions that are taken that may even seem to benefit associates are taken incredibly begrudgingly. Case in point, the office reopening debacle. While the covid numbers did not look promising at all, and WFH seeming like an absolute success (many groups billed more than they had in the previous year), there was a sudden call to start returning to the metros where the offices are. Recent joinees rented places and paid lock-ins, and moved houses only to realize that the office will not open at all and got stuck in lock-downs in strange cities. There was an open house scheduled for this reopening which included exactly 0 arguments/statements in the favour of continuing WFH. There was supposedly an anonymous question portal - which was either not used by anyone in fear of retribution or moderated by the HR team which instead raised completely tone deaf queries such as 'What does XYZ think of the recently concluded American elections?'.

When the firm realized that other law firms were offering a COVID leave - a policy was hastily put together which provided for 7 (sEvEN) days of covid leaves if you or a household member is diagnosed. Even the most notorious WhatsApp forwards are now aware that the recovery period for the rona is at least 14 days. Such actions seemed to be approved so that a placeholder counter exists to any complaints that may arise from inside or outside the firm about basic compassion that can be shown to a 'resource'.

The recent increments have been amply covered elsewhere on this publication and it seems many many resources are now contemplating exits. No one is surprised because very shockingly, at such a successful firm doing so many incredible things, there are very very few things in place to build loyalty. Unfortunately, the money does not do the job alone.
As an alumnus, who has since worked at 3 different firms since, I can tell you that place is toxic AF. Mostly because of the tight-fisted control with which the mothership runs the enterprise. Partners aren't given free reign and mostly resent her. BUT, here's the good news for someone joining:

1. I've never worked at a place that is as truly non-hierarchical. On my first day, a partner told me come with me for a smoke and then proceeded to bitch out Mummyji to me, a first year. In the words of Michael Scott, sometimes what brings the kids together is hating the lunch lady.

2. It's the best training ground there is - mostly because you do so much at such a junior level and are constantly stressed. The 10,000 hours of practice rule to perfection doesn't have a better ground to be tested (because you'll hit those 10K hours much sooner than your peers at other firms). Does it suck? Yes. Does it make you a better lawyer for it? Also yes.

3. It's a great springing board. From my intake back in the day, there were only 10 people who joined the Bombay office. Of those 10, 7 got LLMs at the best universities and jobs outside the country. Not saying that's the path for everyone, but if you can stomach it for a few years, you can have a myriad of opportunities waiting for you.

Good luck. A senior partner told me when I quit, congratulations on getting out of the quick sand before you got sunk in. Make sure you don't let the quick sand sink you in.
The firm does not have enough lawyers when compared with other law firms, hence AZB lawyers are relatively over-worked (emphasis on โ€˜relativityโ€™). As an obvious result of this, one gets to learn more in less time. You get more responsibility from the junior level itself. In terms of administrative hurdles, nobody can deny the fact that filling your TS on time, keeping your non-billables to the minimum are some of the apparent issues at AZB (not because they donโ€™t exist in other firms but you donโ€™t get calls from managing partners inquiring about it - note that not everyone gets these calls and this is not a routine but mostly when you have too many non-billables). Apart from the above, experience at the firm is shaped more by your immediate team than the firm as a whole, which is equally true for any other tier 1 law firm. In terms of overall culture:
** Positive ** - Iโ€™ve not seen a firm as non- hierarchical as Azb, flexible dress code (does not have any stupid rules).
**Negative ** - 10 am punch-in time, lack of trust in employees (non- existent wfh policy pre COVID, recent hasty decision to call people back to work amid COVID).