Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
If you want to be an assistant professor, you'll obviously have to multiple other things.

But you are already a step ahead - since you have already figured out that you want to work as a contractual faculty with a side practice - which is kind of the best of both worlds.

A foreign LLM with 4 years PQE can make you a guest lecturer at almost any college. I have seniors with credentials less than that (1 year PQE + foreign LLM) who are working as guest lecturers at NALSAR, NUJS and JGLS. So, even good law colleges will hire you.

The only problem will be career growth. As a guest lecturer, you will mostly be paid on a per class basis and your per month salary would be between 30k-60k in government colleges. I know people in JGLS who work as RA-cum-guest faculty in Jindal and make about a lakh but that's about it.

You will not be able to aspire to top professor level salaries between 1.5 lakh to 2 lakhs even after 10 years of experience unless you get the UGC requirements (NET, PhD, fixed number of research papers etc.).

But since your focus is having a side practice, I'd advise you not to go down the formal route. Once you take up a permanent position, you give up your license to practice (as advocates cannot be employees). Then you can only teach. So, if money with a little bit of academia is your focus (instead of just becoming known as a great academic), then the path you have decided is the right one.

Just have faith in yourself and follow your dreams! I'm sure you will succeed.