Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
I should be working sigh
But anyway, here it goes.

The answer, as is typical with us lawyers, is that it depends. A, on what you want. B, where you're located. And C, where you're coming from.

For the purposes of this answer, I'm speaking in context of lower judicial services and the IAS/IPS. No point speaking of IRS/IDAS/Whatever - there are too many varying factors. Foremost being that they are not limited by any cadre; judicial services are limited to your state.
Also, my answer is mostly Delhi-specific.

What do you want?

The work culture, the lifestyle, everything is very different. An entry level IAS/IPS officer posted in district (as opposed to HQ/Secretariat) - SDM/DM/ACP/DCP - gets a car with a beacon, a PSO, cars with huge boards saying 'District Magistrate' or a flag on the bonnet. Typical things that an IAS aspirant thinks of. You know what I mean.

Not so with judges. In Delhi, entry-level judicial officers don't have any official vehicles to take them from home to court. Go to Tis Hazari judges parking, you'll see i10s and Swifts with a judge sticker on them. Now I'm not saying it's a bad thing, or that everyone should aim for that laal batti. But know what you want, what you're getting into. I've seen judicial officers get visible agitated and frustrated simply because an IAS officer (who they believe to be inferior in rank) gets more perks.
Judges in Delhi also don't get PSOs, drivers. On some days, not enough stenographers even. It's tough to manage work that way. In other states, however, I've heard judges through all the ranks get a driver-cum-PSO at least.

On the other hand, judges have far more relaxed work timings. Court starts at 10 in Delhi (in other states, don't bother coming before 11/11:30), you wind up by 3-ish, do chamber work/prepare for next day, go home. Not so for an IAS/IPS posted in district. You're basically on duty 24x7. Reaching home at 9PM, and immediately rushing back to work at 9:30 because of an emergency is not uncommon, especially in IPS.

The actual work that you have to do is very different too. A district posting is basically crisis management all of the time. You're always running, having meetings, trying to solve some thing or the other (except in the occasional times when things are relaxed between crises). In a non-district posting as well, it's a desk-job but still it is common to have frequent travel (for meetings), and last-minute work (say, because your predecessor forgot to prepare a status report for the case listed in HC tomorrow, and now you're calling different HODs at 7PM trying to get the relevant documents from them). On the other hand, as a judge, you sit and adjudicate cases all day. It can get boring and dull. Evidence being recorded for hours and hours straight. Sub-par arguments that you HAVE to listen because the guy arguing is the Bar President. Same thing day-in-day-out.
So it really depends on your aptitude.

Big establishments (luxury hotels, businesses, hospitals) also oblige you if you're an IAS/IPS. Judges, not so much (and really, think about it, there are over 150 DJS officers posted in just Tis Hazari alone; there are five other court complexes in Delhi, whereas there are less than 20 DCPs.) However, when an IAS/IPS is summoned to court, he'll have to listen to whatever absurd rant the judge goes on with a bowed head and (figuratively) folded hands. It's not uncommon for a 20-something M.M. to be scolding a 40+ ACP/DCP, often unnecessarily. As an IPS officer, you have to live with it.
So again, know what you're getting into, what your motivations are. Not knowing this will just lead to frustration, and you'll never really be happy with whatever you get into.

Where are you located?
Court infrastructure is minimal outside Delhi. I've been to subordinate courts outside Delhi, and courts of even ASJs and Special Judges (CBI) don't have working computers. A stenographer writes by hand the evidence that gets recorded. On the other hand, Delhi district courts are quite advanced infrastructurally.

On the other hand, judges have more respect/power in states outside Delhi. There will be huge sign boards simply saying "District Judge Residence" - if that's any signifier of where things stand by comparison. In Delhi no one cares/knows where you live. And it makes sense also, if you think of it. In Delhi, there are 11 District Judges, and the HC and SC are also here. In a state, there's no one above the DJ in that particular district. So unless the administrative judge is visiting, you're the king. At the same time, there is greater attempts at political interference as well in states.

Promotions also differ. Some lower judicial services officers in Delhi will never reach become the DJ, let alone a HC judge. Forget about it. On the other hand, in some states (do your research), the promotions are faster and it's much more streamlined.

Where are you coming from?
I know of people whose parents are IAS/IPS (direct as well as promotee) who did not appear for subordinate judiciary exams because they believed it to be "beneath" them. Now, I don't mean to demean the noble job, but it's a genuine perception. They wish to move "up in the ladder" and joining lower judicial services meant a stagnation for them, socially. Their friends, similarly placed socially because of the background, would be "higher up in the society." For e.g., the friend whose father is a HC judge would be elevated from the Bar and become his boss. If you feel this kind of thinking could creep into your mind, make sure you factor this in while making any decision.

------

Lastly, as far as your comment that judges remain in touch with law while civil servants don't, that's only partly true. While the exposure to law won't be as much as a judge, a civil servant does remain in touch. When posted in district, IPC, CrPC, CPC and a number of other (major) Acts are regularly used. And if you're an IPS, all the criminal statutes, obviously. When posted in HQ/Secretariat, you're in touch with a number of other things - service law, for e.g., will always be there. If you're in a municipal corporation, the municipal laws; if deputed to some special department, the relevant laws there.

Hope this helps.
One can never equate the powers of the judiciary and the executive. The executive will always be the most powerful organ in day to day functioning. People from PCS-J background can always argue that a lower judiciary member has more power based on some misplaced notion of what real life power can mean. They often use these arguments to support their claim:

1. The CJM/JMFC can summon the DM/SP in his court but not vice-versa,
2. The executive can only implement Parliamentary law but it is courts which have the power to strike them down.

I would simply say that these arguments are very bookish in nature and do not reflect the ground realities whatsoever for the following reasons:

1. Area of influence / Discretion - The judicial members have no authority outside the courtroom and they usually struggle to get things done through contacts even for themselves (let alone others). The scope of discretion for a judicial member is extremely limited and they can step in only once a matter actually reaches a court. Unless someone wants to live in their own bubble, a common citizen is not really concerned about the DJ/CJM/JMFC of a district and they would rather be much more mindful of a IAS/IPS/IRS officer.

A DM/SP (even an Additional DM/ Deputy SP) is the nodal officer of the Central/State Government for that district and has enormous discretion in administering the district. Basically, they have the entire state machinery to themselves (for use/misuse) for practically doing anything since they control each and every sphere of policy implementation.

Again, this is simply a function of the organ you are working for - the executive or the judiciary. This is in no way meant to belittle the judiciary - the judiciary has its own function to perform and it's a very important organ of the government but one should be clear about what they are getting into.

2. Status - Political interference is a sad reality for Civil Services posts. However, this is not to say that the judicial officers don't face any pressure.
a) Often, you will see that many lawyers in district courts don't respect the authority of judicial officers (I have heard of instances where lawyers have simply hurled abuses at a JMFC / CJM and challenged their authority in open court).
b) Many well off parties don't respect the authority of even district judges (especially in civil cases) and advocates openly tell them they can pass whatever order they want and they will appeal against the order in higher courts.

Now, if we are comparing the worst outcome, there is either the option of listening to abuses from a MP / state / central minister or some random advocate of a district court. I guess I will go with the former option.

3. Postings - I think someone has already covered this point above very precisely. In the judiciary, unless you reach the position of a HC judge, you will always get remote postings. However, with civil services, that's not true. If you are an IAS/IPS, you can get urban postings after first 7-8 years (if you are IRS - then even sooner). While this is obviously a matter of personal preference, it cannot be denied that urban areas have more facilities and infrastructure than rural areas (health, education, leisure and entertainment etc.).

4. Work profile - As someone mentioned above, the work profile of a civil servant is much more varied and dynamic than a judge. Again, this is because of the inherent nature of the executive organ. It is supposed to undertake all the residual functions in administering a country. You have the opportunity to go on deputation to other departments or international organisations like UN, World Bank etc. On the other hand, the scope of a PCS-J member is limited to courtroom procedure and adjudication.

5. It's about the journey - People are claiming here that people passing the PCS J examination will become a HC judge by the age of 50-55 (which is completely debatable with hardly any evidence). Assuming it is true, the 25 years taken to reach that level by wading through the lower judiciary isn't worth it (see first four points on why that is so). Civil servants, on the other hand have a time based promotion (which may be a flawed policy but it is what it is) and each post performs a different function if you consider it in terms of a supply chain. The role of a DM is vastly different from a joint secretary and you will learn different things such as policy implementation, formulation at different stages of life. The journey to a Secretary is very fulfilling in each role and it's not like people are simply biding their time to get something better like it may be for PCS-J members.

Conclusion - There is a reason why the judiciary has not been able to the attract the brightest people getting into law. Unless an All India Judicial Services is created and modelled along the lines of IAS/IPS, the lower judiciary will unfortunately be something that people settle for if they are not able to clear the Civil Services Examination.