Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
What does and Associate in strategy and outreach mean? I see law grads occupying these positions in firms like Spiceroute Legal. Can someone clarify what work this role exactly entail?
I'm guessing its about business development and bringing in clients, figuring out which industries to permeate and whom to reach out.
I will be answering your question in as much detail as I can. I sincerely feel there's need for more career intelligence about this career path.

Who am I? A law grad who practiced for less than a year and realised that it's not for me. Reasons not relevant here.

What do I do? I work at a leading mid-sized law firm in a strategy and business development role.

What does it entail? Broadly, the following things:

1. External communications - think press releases, deal updates, firm announcements etc. you see on legal media websites.

2. Internal communications - same as above, when communicated internally within the firm.

3. Ranking submissions - you see law firms posting on their social media platforms that they've been ranked by Chambers, Legal500, IFLR, Asialaw, ALB etc.? Well, contrary to popular beliefs, not all of these are paid/ sponsored (at least the good ones that I listed). There are detailed forms to apply for these recognitions. Each platform has its own form. A big part of the role is to fill those forms, submit and laise with these platforms untill their rankings are out.

4. Social media management - don't think I need to explain this one.

5. Practice development - everything that your firm's partners do in order to bring in business and position themselves in the legal industry. Networking events, client pitches, etc.

6. Knowledge management - internal as well as external. Think blogs, articles, thought papers, podcasts etc. published by third parties and on your firm's website.

Why do law firms need lawyers for this role? Because every piece of content that's generated is legal in nature, right from a short social media caption to proofreading KM output, you need someone who has a basic understanding of law.

What's the payscale for freshers? Law firm marketing agencies usually pay 5-8 LPA to freshers. Law firms typically do not hire absolute freshers, but if you're lucky, you would get around 7-10 LPA.

What skill set do you need? Basic understanding of law. Good communication skills. Creativity and design sense. Some experience with Canva would work in your favour. Social media management. Content development.

Hope this helps.