Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
I wish to continue in the same institution with regards to LLM & PhD. So whichever institute I choose for my LLM will be the one I wish to pursue my PhD from. That's around the next 5-6 years of my life. I'm genuinely nervous about this fact. So please advice me where I should focus on. My interests are in human rights. Advisor is not my concern since I am aware that there is a high probability that faculty may come & going these 5-6 years. Therefore institution makes the most sense to focus on.
If you look it as it is, NALSAR is the way. But if you take it in a 5-year period, basically the long game, GNLU might be the more probable choice. Gnlu has grown fairly well among all the NLU’s, no doubt, NUJS and NALSAR are superior, but if investing 5years in a faster horse may reap you more fruits, go for it.
Not a fan of JNU. However, if you consider yourself a lawyer or someone associated with the legal field, please think with facts and not like WhatsApp uncles. Kanhaiya Kumar was actually younger than the average age of people who completed their PhD when he left JNU, which is the apt time after a 3 year grad+2 year masters+5 year PhD (10 years) minimum in total.

Moreover, if JNU was an option for law, except PhD,.people would have definitely done their LLM from there, since atleast it's global reputation is still intact, unlike NLUs were higher education is just not the same as UG.
As someone who actually has a PhD, let me tell you that it does not take 5 years t to complete a PhD in law. Look at the website or to NLUs, hardly any professors spend more than 3 years doing a PhD.
If you actually have a PhD you would know that the average time taken to complete a PhD is 5 years across the globe. You should also be aware that it was the UGC guidelines that has pushed for a MINIMUM 3 years and maximum 6 year limit. You should also be aware that the maximum time taken for a PhD in JNU is 5 years, even an extension of one year is difficult to get, if you knew about the COVID protests of extension, you would have known. If you would have been a PhD in law, you would have checked out every NLU, where the minimum time is 3 years, in SAU it's 5 years, in JNU it's 5 years, in IIT & IIMs it's 5 years on an average, in DU it's 4 years. All in all, if you were actually a PhD, you would know that there is no university in India that allows you to complete a PhD in less than 3 years. So stop spreading fake BS, or more importantly, you need to go back & do your PhD again.
BS. Compulsory coursework work is anywhere between 6 months to 1 year. After which no one is completing their PhD in 2 years. Also, you should be the one to check. All NLUs state a minimum of 3 years before final PhD maybe submitted, which takes another 4-5 months of finally getting through
Which NLU has got compulsory coursework for a year? Most get it done within 6 months and you don't even need to be there physically during this period apart from the weekend classes. It's not that you can't continue your research during coursework. You clearly have never pursued a PhD of your own to have such inaccurate idea about one.
NLSIU 2023 guidelines have 4 components of coursework, which will take a minimum of 1 year to finish. It can be spred out as well or you can Shri k it to finish within 2 trimesters (but life will be difficult if you do)
I do know but not because of your unreasoned analogy. It’s a verifiable fact that all these places have garbage LLM programs. Only NLS and NLUD might have decent LLM programs and they’re also pretty bad too.
You lack the credentials to call any such programme good or bad, since you never got that degree yourself.
Then name some better universities for masters & PhD in India. Don't say IITs.
This just goes to show that you're ignorant about the kind of work that's taking place in Indian universities.
Then when the above post asked to name better universities, none replied . It shows that's you are the one ignorant of the state of Indian universities, when you can't even name one decent legal university.
That's because there is no one University from where all the thesis being awarded are top notch. However, several such theses involve really good work, including from the NLUs and TLCs and even private law colleges. Almost nobody here has bothered to read any of such theses and instead are all here pretending that they know what a PhD is all about.
Then when someone is saying name them, why can't you ? Stop throwing in generic BS like certain NLUs and TLC. Name the institution, the professor and the projects, so that atleast the uninitiated can look into these "top notch" work. But obviously you yourself don't know any, so how are you gonna mention even one ?
A 8-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 6-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 46-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.