Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
As a mid 20-something year old, India-qualified lawyer working abroad in an unconventional job, which does not even qualify as an in-house role, does it make sense to stray away from practicing the Law? I've been following Legally India for a while now and the general consensus on Law Firm and Indian-work culture seems to be falling short in the human decency department.

I'm not gonna get into the nitty-gritties, but bit of background as to what I do is that I work in a boutique specialized management consulting firm, focused on a specific industry. I put together analyses of project-specific problems in the aforesaid industry and help clients navigate issues and entitlement. Working here has broken a huge myth for me that it is the big companies that get the big work and the small companies get the leftovers. Our miniscule company has worked on huge multi-national projects and the revenues are in USD millions.

Totally lucked out on this job because the work-life balance is fantastic, I get home by 5-5:30ish p.m. no questions asked, enough time for activities and have a social life, weekends are respected, after-work hour calls are frowned upon and the pay is ridiculous (After conversion, bonuses inclusive, upwards of approx. 40L). I have been promoted twice and enjoy a fantastic rapport with the Managing Director/ Owner of the company. That being said when push came to shove, my team has had months where our workdays lasted longer than 24 hours for weeks, because there were deadline-critical submissions that were to be made. There are are a few more downsides to the job, but the pros definitely far outweigh the cons.

Maybe 5% of what I do is legal work including contract drafting, vetting and other legal tasks, but my primary tasks revolve around advising the clients on project-specific issues.

I have established myself quite well, but feel dissuaded in continuing here because my complacency has increased and now I'm looking for a new challenge and rejuvenated vigor.

Are there any lawyers here who have pivoted into non-legal and unconventional roles? What does it mean to be a lawyer working outside the legal industry? My graduate-level educated parents ask me to stay updated with the law and legal acumen required on a surface level, but are actually quite enthusiastic that I have transitioned into the role I am in currently, because they've seen my work and are thoroughly impressed with what I do.

Is coming back to work in India worth it and should I steer my course of action into practicing the Law? As much as I love working here albeit all the challenges it poses, there's something about the way and speed things move in India and how everyday there's another obstacle to be conquered.

I've been contemplating moving back to India for a while now and since I have little-to-no experience working in a law firm or an Indian Company, I would join either as an A0 or a "Consultant" in T1 firms and considering how much I make currently, it's unlikely that the India-fitment pay would be given due to lack of experience in a Law firm and/or companies. It would be hugely appreciated if lawyers in T1 firms, in-house roles and other unconventional non-legal roles, could help shed some light on my dilemma.

Thank you!
Couldnt understand the salary bit. $50k, right? Is it ok by US standards/ your exp level?

In any case, you said that there is huge growth potential (your small firm making millions). So I just have one question for you - pagal hai kya!!??

Why do you want to leave that job and come here to practice law? Law practice is just a small cog in the business ecosystem (unless you end up absolutely killing it). You are/ can be part of something much bigger.

If for any reason you decide to come here - please recommend by CV there.

@R/Mod - There was great thread which was about how some lawyers went into non-law areas and are doing great. Post that here? Young lawyer bhai ka predicament door ho jaega (hopefully).
Well the conversion was done to USD to maintain anonymity. But it’s actually in a place with little to no tax of any kind (should be clue enough) and my PQE is around 4 years. It’s a decent enough salary compared to the absolute killing foreign-trained lawyers make here.
Do not think the grass is greener on the other side, it is not. You are getting great pay and a great work life balance people only pray for here in the legal field...stay put and enjoy life. My only honest suggestion is don't come and struggle here unnecessarily and cherish what you got there