Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
This is the position of Professor Lawrence Liang (founder of the copyleft movement) and other famous intellectuals. There is undoubtedly so much good that can happen if this is done: free ebooks, free movies, cheaper medicines, cheaper iPhones etc. It can reduce poverty greatly and thus increase GDP. So why doesn't the world get together and do it?
It’s either that or you have no movies , no books , no medicines, no I phones. Do you really think big companies are incentivised to make medicines because they want to cure disease ? Or because they can get money ?

Where do scientists get money to do their research if not these big companies ? Who pays people to make movies and books if they cannot sell tickets and copies ?

It’s one thing to argue that scientific literature and culture should be accessible to all - another to argue no one should have rights over things they make. Get a library card.
Why will people invest in research if they can't get any monetary return from it?
The base of Western European Civilization is built upon IP theft. So I don't see a problem with it happenening if modern time if other areas of the world can benefit from it
it will increase poverty if anything. no one will make anything as there is no use if you don’t get ip. if you want to do free service you’re free to do so.
Lawrence Liang did NOT invent the copy left movement. He merely co-founded an NGO (ALF) that promoted this concept in India, getting them generous funds from the Ford Foundation and George Soros’s Open Society in the process. That’s his background, ok?
Pl read Calabresi and Melamed's paper - One view of the cathedral.

We can have the discussion thereafter
Lol, Liang didn't found the copyleft movement. Stop getting all your info from wiki.
Well artists don't get paid thanks to pay the artists movement or speeches.
Bhai sabko law firm intern samjha hai Jo free ka quality kaam karke denge?
I think the best in this regard can be that the govt. can subsidized or provide for free some resources like educational books, some courses and all that to the people below certain level of income.
Why are you all so uneducated? The founder of copyleft is Lawrence Lessig. Apart from giving a couple of lectures ripping off his ideas in India - I’m not sure liang has done anything at all to earn that name.

Did you really not look up the name properly?
not sure about art but IP for medicines should not be allowed, look at America and where it has brought them
same reason you charge fees for providing legal services, and these professors do jobs for salaries. Only the privileged can afford to work pro-bono. The rest need to exploit their hard work for money.. on a larger scale, companies also need to make profits
A 8-word comment posted 3 weeks ago was not published.