Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
I have gotten NUJS. However, I am eligible to get NALSAR through domicile. Should I take it ? For the next 5 years where should I hedge my bets ? I have no problem staying in either cities.
There are way more NUJS alum in academia than there are NALSAR alum though.
tough call. Id take NUJS. I'm a nalsarite- but the professors have all left. Once SidChu leaves that will be about it. Maybe things would turn around at NUJS?
NUJS still has at least ten faculty good enough to teach in any Indian law school.
Wow. Nalsarites having this little faith in their own university? NUJS has a one-third domicile quota and has increased its batch size by more than 50% with the new BScLLB. I'd still say go with NALSAR.
its not about faith in an institution. Its about being honest about where we are and not dumping this burden on a student who may not understand or realise what hes buying into. NALSAR has domicile quota too and its batch size has been pretty high for a while now.
The domicile quota hasn't harmed student quality at all in NUJS. It won't in NLUs located in metro cities, because those are mostly availed by students from those cities who might have had one bad day on CLAT date.
Then that's a scam domicile quota then. And NUJS also has a nice NRI quota for even more easy entry options. Sorry, but getting into NALSAR still needs more merit than NUJS.
NUJS only has a 25% domicile quota, and the Bsc LLB students have a separate campus and course (they arent considered the same batch).
That’s wrong. You have a 30% domicile quota at NUJS. And BSc kids are admitted through CLAT and will sit with you guys in BA for placements and other opportunities. They’re not some different species altogether.
Regardless of what trolls may say here, you mat choose either of these two excellent institutions and if you work hard for the next five years, then you will easily do well in your chosen career path, be it corporate job, litigation, policy work, higher studies or anything else. Faculty-wise and admin-wise, both the places are comparable. NALSAR admin support and infra including hostel facilities will be better. NUJS is located in the middle of a city with all its amenities. Both the places will have good peer group and seniors to guide you if you can find them. Best of luck with your choice!
NUJS, i would suggest. NALSAR has way too many issues, continuing faculty exodus being one. Further, it is outside of the city, which NUJS is not. From NUJS, you can travel to any corner of the city very cheaply by bus/metro/autos.
Go for NALSAR. I tell this to as many people as possible to steer away from NUJS. The mental trauma the place brings, it’s unparalleled. The hostel facilities are just horrifying (no AC in a heated humid weather like Kolkata), useless SJA and growingly so, no quality of professors post 2nd year (which is if you’re considering the luckiest side of the spectrum), and trash culture. Being in the city means nothing when the college is so immersive you barely get to go out. I think NALSAR is a far better brand and NUJS honestly gives more trauma than anything else. All the best with what you do!
Lol, some of the best faculty teach only from 3rd year onward. Goes to show what kind of a student you are. No sane NUJS student will say that they are required to stay cooped up within the university unless they wish to.
Honestly, the faculty exodus is one of the few things that can be solved. We have good inter student rapport that helps things around, you should join us
someone wrote this on another thread and I think it is extremely relevant -

Just because people in LI talk about nothing else, that doesn't mean there isn't research and publications happening at the NLUs. Why don't you check the author profiles of those faculty who are known to write?

Don't be concerned. NLUs are by character VC-centric institutions. If the VC changes for the worse, then they see exoduses or lack of better new recruitments. As such, these institutions boom and bust cycles. NALSAR and NUJS are suffering through one now. For NALSAR it is more recent with FM only just out of the door, for NUJS it has been a while since they had a good VC. Do not for a moment think that NLS is exempt for such cycles. The decade of Venkata Rao is well documented on LI itself. In fact, Sidharth Chatham, whose imminent departure is causing a lot of these reflections on faculty at NALSAR, had left NLS on concerns of academic future of the place under that leadership. Also, do note that having a decade of poor leadership has not caused the recruitment outputs of NUJS to suffer. Similarly, NLS' recruitments did not suffer under Venkata Rao. Nor will NALSAR's with KDR.

All of these institutions (plus NLUJ, NLUD, and to a lesser extent NLIU and GNLU) have built enough of a brand for themselves with the legal industry. This brand was built on the backs of student recruits being able to churn out two/three years of back-breaking and soul-sucking work. It wasn't built on the outstanding academic literature being produced by the faculty members.

Therefore, my advice to all - current students in these places, and prospectives students who will pick one of them - would be to keep following the time tested rank order profile of NLS, NALSAR, NUJS, NLUD, NLUJ, GNLU, NLIU. You do this and you shall be fine.
Literally copy-pasted another comment, huh? Neither NUJS nor NALSAR are better than NLUD today. Stop kidding yourself.
Name a single graduate outcome where students from NLUD are doing better, other than UPSC, which has got little to no relevance which university you do your undergrad from. NLUD trolls keep parroting this same tune like a broken record, but never managed to prove it. You barely have any good faculty left these days and your campus, while still larger than NUJS, is way more crowded than NALSAR.
From YP to Dany Mathew to AK Rai and Anup, we literally have better faculty than NUJS and Nalsar across the board. Sure, some have left to NLS, but not a single one of them would leave for NUJS or NALSAR. I know the Noojies are slowly trying to spread a narrative that their faculty are suddenly very good, but be honest, nobody wants to live and teach in Kolkata except the people already domiciled there.
The people whom you named have equal counterparts in both the other places. Try comparing their publications and scholarship. I know that Null-Dees keep trying to prop up the myth that their faculty are the best without anything concrete to show for it, but they can't even do better in any field despite having such faculty, which makes their claim hollow.
Do better? We’ve literally risen to the top and overtaken older NLUs in less than a decade of our existence. This is despite the intense competition and alumni bias from these older places. Ergo, our good faculty have certainly played a role in our rise. And mark my words, in the next decade, we’ll be even more ahead of you guys.
People whom you named are certainly good but there are equally good people in other NLUs too. For example, SBB, AM, LDG, SS, SKG, RG at NUJS. That's the difference in class. You only know about your faculty and think of them as the best. Whereas education teaches us to give respect to other faculty as well as ours.
I have been taught by three of the NLUD professors named here, other than Anup. Sure, they are decent teachers, but certainly not superior to others whom I have met from other NLUs.
That is why gave credits to the person who said it. And why do these NLUD trolls show up everywhere?

Atleast NALSAR does not organise moots and allows their own collegiate team to participate (cough cough IBC moot).
No one at NLUD cares about IBC enough to β€œcheat to win”. Second, when we win our moots organised at our Uni, we often go and perform extremely well in the international rounds as well. Not our fault that your college can’t afford enough money to organise top moots.
I will tell you what i had done. I chose nujs over nalsar for the simple reason i am a city person. I like going to clubs, bars,resturants, movies, malls and also street shopping. These are important for my mental well being and i knew i would not be okay with having to travel such a long distance to simply come to the city. If you are someone who values these things go for nujs and if you are okay with being far from the city and prioritise a bigger campus go for nalsar. In a choice between nujs-nalsar you have to pick what suits your lifestyle and you would be more compatible with because choosing either of these colleges will not have a drastic effect on your career.
A 6-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.
A 32-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.