Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
So I was reading some things about Savarkar and was astonished to see that he was against caste system and wanted to abolish it and also wanted Indians to eat non veg to increase muscle power to fight British. Also people saying he wrote mercy petitions saying that he wrote that he was servant of British just does not make sense because Gandhi also wrote in many letters the same way Savarkar wrote to British.

So I tried to correct people who are against Savarkar's ideology but go back slurs which are usually used against RW in India.

Why so much hate against him considering he is not as same as portrayed by left nowadays?
People who act as open to all ideology suddently act dumb when confronted with facts.
People are now clearly divided into us vs them. Left vs right. BJP vs non BJP. It doesn't matter what you say, the won't listen. Best is to be a free thinker and remain neutral. Enjoy the sh!t show from the sidelines. If you've read sawarkar, you'd also know that he doesn't even fit the BJP rhetoric as well. He was a man of his times, like Gandhi, like nehru, like Subhash etc. don't worry, be happy .
Facts

BJP is using his hindutva very softly while it's ministers on ground are making is portrayed it a bad way with not education what's the real hindutva
He also opposed cow worship and questioned the existence of God. In contrast, Gandhi opposed modern medicine and denied his wife penicillin, which led to her death. Gandhi also opposed the cinema and other western scientific inventions. He also opposed the emancipation of women and supported regressive Islamists during the Khilafat movement. And he said that Jews should oppose Hitler peacefully and try to explain to him that he was wrong. Finally, although he opposed untouchability, he did not criticise the caste system per se.

Now tell me who you support: Gandhi or Savarkar.
Savarkar was visionary tbh
He started his own ideology and freedom struggle at a very young age, got his ideology spread among fighters and wanted Hindus to unite irrespective of their caste and be strong while also facing kaali pani jail.

I don't know when we will really start admiring other freedom fighters who were lost in books or never showed up in our history books. People hating him due to his views on Gandhi don't realise that other historical people/fighters like Br Ambedkar and Bose also had a very negative perspective of Gandhi Ji.
Savarkar is disliked today mostly because people from a certain ideology like to hail him as their inspiration. The objections against that ideology spill over to his image.
How was he strong in that jail? He had broken down and written a mercy petition. He also followed the British line afterwards. He is not at all important in the context of freedom struggle.
looks like some LW folks got mad after seeing this thread
so many downvotes lol
If he questioned the existence of God, then why did he advocate for a Hindu Rashtra exactly?
Prolly because an Islamic rashtra might have meant (apart from the obliteration of his culture save for petty tokenism) a more insistent version of a theocracy, instilling social and ciltural norms that he wasnt fond of.

And yes, the absence of a Hindi Rashtra is an Islamic theocracy. You can see how much of India is stripped of its Hindu identity (at best, like urban areas, parts of South India etc) if not completely Islamised (parts of Hyderabad, most of Kerala etc) where there is no strong Sangh foothold.

Its a thankless job, but the Sangh parivar for all their follies have done a commendable part in keeping alive some Hindu identity (however distorted it has become lately with the cow obsession). What it needs is reform, not braindead rejection leading to an Iran like situation.
Lol, where do you even get these delusions from? India didn't adopt Islamic notions at the cost of Hinduism. It turned to the Western notions. Hindu identity peddled by RSS and BJP is their notion of what being a Hindu means. I certainly don't consider them to be representative of such identity. They don't have the most basic knowledge of the notions of the religion or what Dharma really means.
Why would an atheist who questions the existence of God care to have any kind of theocracy, Hindu or Muslim?
He and certain others in the country are "cultural Hindus" . Not particularly religious or theological but wants to preserve culture from degradation/destruction
Can I get the source where Gandhi said I am a loyal servant of British in any of his letters?

I don't judge savarkar because he said such things because the pain he went through in Andaman was such. Tbh some left leaning intellectuals also accept this reality, for eg. See the interview of Ramchandra Guha on Savarkar. I disagree with Savarka because of his idea of India belonging to only followers of Dharmic religions. Fatherland and Holy land stuff. My Holy land is Jerusalem, still I am faithful to this country. I sincerely thank that Gandhi and Nehru became heroes for decades after independence and their idea of equality of religion shaped our early years of republic. Following savarkar's way of treating minorities would be considered racism in North America and Europe and no doubt Indian Hindus would be victims of the same.
Can you even read letters? You honestly are targeting a sign-off that's part of formality to highlight that Gandhi kow-towed to the Brits? This is what happens when you learn your history from Whatsapp University!
I think you also need to know there was some formality while writing petitions.

Anyways people calling me WhatsApp university just confirm their bias here.

If you already hate one person/subject then you will research more about him but I can understand real WhatsApp university cannot research themselves.

Even many other freedom fighters wrote petitions for their release. If you having only petitions as an argument against Savarkar then are dumb and brainwashed. Try to acknowledge all viewpoints.
More than Savarkar, a really unappreciated and forgotten legend is Shyama Prasad Mookerjee. Became VC of Calcutta University at 33.
There is a whole port and several streets named after him. How is he forgotten exactly?
I am all for BJP and Modi. But, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee was a nepo kid.
You just read and understood RW propaganda newsletter. Congratulations, you can now join Noida IT cell.
That's what I said

Get out of your imaginary world and listen to both sides

Saying that I am IT cell does tells u are real andhbhakt. I just presented facts.

Better acknowledge