Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I wanted to pursue my PhD from an NLU for the tag, I am already teaching and I just need the degree. However with the recent news that I've read from GNLU, NLS, NUJS, NALSAR etc; I am doubtful of spending 3-6 years in these institutions. Should I completely avoid these institutions and aim for central universities like DU and BHU ? I can't go for IITs or IIMs as they require 2 year LLMs. The only reason for going for NLUs is that in a lot of universities, a doctoral from NLUs is given preference in appointments, seen it first hand, over other universities including DU. please advise ? Mind you I only need it from promotion to Associate Professor, not interested in deep research/research career, enjoy teaching more.
If you need it for promotion only, then why care about the appointment preference? Just do it from the same place where you're working at already.
Can't, it's a private college that doesn't stand anywhere in the ranking and I plan to leave this year. Plus I'll be taking a academic leave for the PhD, hopefully converting to a better university.
do it from any nlu

write to the VC at each of the nlu and send your proposal and say that you want to do your phd under their guidance, the vc will take you in and later you may even get a job there

you will get money for part time teaching and will break even
Many private universities provide Ph.D.s in three years. You can try them. However, the quality of the research and the university matter in the end. I mean, sometimes a poor-quality thesis can backfire in your career.
That's what I am afraid of, since I do want to progress to better universities in the future. Moreover, your last degree is usually the basis of your selection/impression on the panel. So, should I still try for NLUs despite their current reputation. Who knows by the time I get my degree, things might turn out for the better.
LLM and PhD are two seperate things. Dissertation in an LLM is technically just one paper and that too you spend the last sem on it. PhD is one whole azz thesis, that you spend years on. You can swallow your pride and clear your LLM, since it's just 10 months of sck. But PhD is a whole different ball game.