Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Hello everyone!

I am based in New Delhi where I live with my parents. I scored a PPO with the Disputes team of a firm at their Mumbai office. The firm had an internship policy pre-joining and I decided to intern for a month.

Once I moved to Mumbai and started working I realised how difficult life is in Mumbai. Everything from the staggering rents to the harrowing Mumbai local train (in comparison to the Delhi Metro) is making me question this shift.

Now, with the present job market I do not have to option to quit and look for work in Delhi.

On these lines I have been wondering if with some years of PQE here in Mumbai, will I be able to shift to another disputes team in New Delhi?

Thank you for your help!
Absolutely. If Fali, Soli, Nani, and the others could, why can't you!!?
Speaking from experience. Yes, it's quite possible. More often than not, if your work is good and you ask for a switch to your firm's disputes team in Delhi, your team leaders will themselves push for it internally.

If your firm doesn't have a Delhi team, even then moving is not unheard of. Chances are better if you're doing arbitrations as those skills are location-agnostic as against court work which has procedural differences. But even with courts, the procedural aspect is not the whole deal. Try and do good work in Mumbai - whatever you get tasked with - and you should be able to convince a Delhi law firm partner of your utility too. All the best
Depends on your disputes niche. If it's more arbitration or advisory based then it will be comparatively easier. Litigation will be significantly difficult since you'll start from scratch learning the local court procedures in Delhi and making contacts with the non-lawyer legal fraternity e.g the different registries, clerks, court staff etc.