Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Is there any way on how to go about researching case laws. Can the case laws be as old as possible or there's a specific time frame from which they maybe be research ?
1. Download Microsoft Edge.

2. Now write bing chat in the search bar.

3. Now select Creative mode.

4. Now ask your questions. GPT4 is free here.

Most people use GPT 3.5 and lament how bad ChatGPT is. Use GPT4 and see the magic.

Ask it as thoroughly as possible. As if he/she was your assistant. E.g. - Research for case laws from Madhya Pradesh between 2005-2010 in areas X. Tell me important points and some quotes from the judgement I can use.
Have you tried GPT4? Specifically GPT4? The difference between GPT3.5 and GPT4 is IIT under 1000 AIR and Vellore Engineer, aka, Zameen Aasman ka antar. If it is on the internet or digitally present somewhere, it can be in the output. If it's not, then no. Write a 1 paragraph long prompt describing what you want, what you expect, what details should be in the output etc. Think of it as a Class 10th Student who can be taught Calculus. He/she is smart but needs detailed prompts.

Anyway! All the best.
Hello OP, I wouldn't call myself the best person to give advice on this but here's what I have learnt from one of the kindest mentor I had the opportunity to intern under :

1.Case laws should be as recent as possible and ideally the research Q / statement should be affirmed by the SC or HC of the state you are working in, if not the same state then 3-4 HCs affirming the point is sufficient.

2. Coming to finding case laws, it takes time tobecome good at finding relevant and strong case laws in a short span of time but with practice you'll be good to go.

1.Start by reading up on the basic law surrounding the proposition in case you aren't familiar with the same and then start by typing out the research statement in the form of a question. You'll find articles on the sub topic where you are likely to find some case relevant to you. Eg (sorry for the basic example) : Research proposition is : A mentally insane person cannot be charged with murder. Figure out the law in place (IPC). Next, type can an insane person be charged for a crime - you'll get articles on insanity as a defence and subsequently find case laws that were referred to in the article. Put that one case law on SCC, ensure it hasn't been overruled and you'll be able to find more cases affirming the case law as well.

3. You can also try directly typing the research statement on manupatra / SCC / Indian Kanoon and find something in case you are lucky. Although with Indian kanoon ofc, cross check the case in SCC and never link the Indian Kanoon case when passing on their research.

4. If no avail, you can refer to commentaries on the particular law and find cases.

5. Another place is to read the submissions made by the advocates in a judgment of a case related to your provision. You will most likely get a few case laws used by either side to prove the point that you are trying to make.