Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
I have seen this myself. Students who genuinely need funds to pursue higher education and have requisite interest are sidelined to support well off counterparts who can fund their own education but belong to minority communities.

Looking for a proper discussion instead of throwing shade at any individual or scholarship. Just curious.
1. Most scholarships have some variant of 'merit' attached to them often at the behest of the donor.

2. People from financially well-off backgrounds have had better opportunities coming to the point of making the scholarship today.

3. People from minority groups - whether religious, but also ethnic, linguistic, social - have had either 'real' (read personal) or 'perceived' (read as part of group) lived-realities/difficulties.

4. People from financially well-off, minority backgrounds having had (i) better opportunities previously are now able to (ii) utilize their real or perceived lived-realities to 'sell' (read demonstrate) a rounded candidate who has 'done well despite the difficulties.' Hence, they are able to secure funding.

PS: All of this is based on your word that those financially well-off minority students somehow vastly out do financially well-off 'majority' group candidates.