Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
I am a lawyer (29F) from Bihar. Working in a law firm in Mumbai. I received an offer from IT Company for an in house role. The company has two offices (Bangalore and Chennai) and I am allowed to work from either office. I am taking up this offer as I heard hours are normal and pay is only slightly below what I get now. I don't have to move my family (parents are in Patna and I am unmarried-no kids)

Which city should I work from? Bangalore or Chennai?

Consider the following -

I don't know either Tamil or Kanada (local languages) Employer doesn't have a problem with not knowing the local language.

I don't have family or other expenses.

Looking for a City with more potential for more career growth (in house)

I am looking to get married/settle down in the coming years - which city should be good for having a family or quality of life.

Salary is same whether I work in bangalore or Chennai (only negligible variation in HRA)
Chennai for sure. People in Chennai are more genuine, helpful, sweet and accommodating. While people in Bangalore are also friendly and helpful, they are definitely way more snooty and vain than their counterparts in Chennai.
Since your main concern is career growth, pick the office which is the more head office of the organisation or at least where your reporting senior works. That will give you the best possible visibility within the organisation. You can always switch cities when you are changing jobs.

In terms of quality of life, different people have different preferences - but I will say that it is easier to get by with English in Bangalore as compared to Chennai.
Bangalore: Lot more cosmopolitan than Chennai. Weather.

Chennai: Cheaper and better vfm. Lot less traffic.
Why?

You are gonna spend all of your income on expensive cabs, rents and partying. Most Bangalore people's have little to no savings. Should have chosen Chennai
Living Standards - Chennai, very affordable you will save a lot of money in Chennai. It has good public transport, amenities etc. It's as safe as Bangalore.

Chennai as a city is miles ahead in front of bangalore.

Culture/Future Prospects - Bangalore. Bangalore has far more legal opportunities than Chennai. Also language will become a problem in Chennai. In bangalore you can adjust with Hindi. Chennai not the same. Most lawyers are from Tamil Nadu. Bangalore has many law firms and in house opportunities.

Also,

Cost of living is also low because of social life. In Bangalore you club party a lot. Chennai you won't be able to do the same. That's one another reason people in Chennai save a lot.

Apart from that - you are from north, for your children assimilation will be easier in bangalore. And you are unmarried - I have seen a lot of professionals from UP Bihar in Bangalore. Not that much in Chennai. Easier to get potential spouses in bangalore.

Job opportunities /future - Bangalore any day. Especially for a north indian.