Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
Other than formal settings (like classroom, internships etc) in what language do y'all communicate with one another? English or local languages? Also mention college name
Mostly english and hindi, but I've heard people speaking bengali, gujarati, marathi, tamil, telugu, malayalam and others amongst themselves. Quite a diverse crowd!
Yeah, it's good. But looking down on people who can't speak fluently or speak with flowery language isn't good.
Being good at writing and speaking in English is necessary in the legal profession (barring district court practice in some areas). But that doesn't mean that other languages are any less worthy or important, diversity is good! Every new language that you learn will teach you to think differently. Let's get over our colonial hangover and respect all languages, instead of behaving as though English is the best. I have great respect for polyglots
Disagree, knowing other languages is certainly not economically as lucrative as knowing English. Besides, most of the language imposition in India is done by Hindi speakers.
english with south indians, north east, and some genuine NRIs

hinglish with whoever understands hindi and english

hindi with ppl who understand english, but heavily prefer hindi (for some reason, mostly ppl from the hindi heartland)
There are small 'Parivaars' within my batch. The largest Parivaar speaks Hindi. The second largest Bengali. There is a hybrid Parivaar of Malayaalam and Tamil. A separate parivaar of Telugu and Hindi mix.
Strictly English is classroom. Most students are comfortable in English. Most colloquially spoken language on campus is Tamil, Hindi comes third. Bengali, Odia Kannada and Telugu students are there but they mostly speak in Hindi. People from Kerala speak in Malayalam among themselves.