Read 5 comments as:
Filter By
I'm a fifth year student, and direct tax interests me quite a bit. Have done internships in 2 T1 firms, but they have very strict policies about not hiring fresh college graduates with no experience.

Additionally, from the research I have done, direct tax seems to mostly comprise of individuals who have done CA and then LLB.

Should I give up on direct tax and find another field to focus my efforts, or it it worth pursuing. Other than this, I mostly have litigation internships (1 in direct tax) so switching to other departments will be very difficult.

Any leads for potential internships would also be appreciated. I have less than a year to graduate and the panic is starting to set in.
Try and see if you get an internship and then possibly job in any of the following places:
Khaitan, LKS, ELP, SAM Delhi (Mumbai only had 1 partner, who has left and joined another firm), NDA, Trilegal. All these firms have good direct tax practice wherein you should get a healthy mix of international and national direct tax work.
Hi

You can try sending your CV to trilegal tax partners. They are open to hire talent who has a hunger to learn. Start as a long-term intern and then you may stand a chance of getting absorbed. There is no bias for lawyers or accountants.
start as a long term intern?? Looks like slapping an associate wasn't enough, now you guys want underpaid labour as well? My advice to OP is to stay away from these CAs who want to introduce the 'articleship culture' in law firms.
Didn't your LinkedIn cover once say "confidently" follow your dreams? Law firms are not the end of the rope, many CA firms need good lawyers for their litigation silo, try trying there as well.b