Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
How does one switch from Litigation to M&A or Banking and Finance or General Corporate in these cases ? How do I get into Tier 2 Tier 3 law firms if not Tier 1 ?
Hi, I have tread the same path as you..please don't be bog down by nasty comments pulling you down. You can easily switch from lit to boutique law firm by justifying your reason to switch. Since you have prepared for judicial services, you will be having first hand knowledge of bare acts so that aspect won't be difficult for you. You should apply for A0 post in boutique firm and stay there for a year or more and switch to tier-1/2 as the case may be. In the interview I was posed the same question of why I want to make the switch. And I answered that corporate side of law is something interest me and after having worked in court I am more aware of what types of agreements, contracts and clauses should be incorporated so as to stand the test of court interpretation. Then the interviewer asked me to give some example, then I answered that cancellation of instrument is provided in SRA but court never cancels an instrument since they presume that something is written in black and white was deliberated between parties and now due to some foul play one party is asking for cancellation. This is just a psyche of court which only a lawyer who practised in court will tell.

The fact of matter is that the switch is possible provided you are prepared for tough question in interview. I took coaching from Rahuls, then simultaneously practised in court and gave many mains and then worked in companies and thereafter went on to pursue GC in law firm. Sbkch possible hai agar tum chaho toh. Abhi bhi mains dera hu company mein kaam karte2. Life bht lambi hai, career sirf ek aspect hai itna stress met lo. All the very best. I hope you find your godot.
Why still giving mains? Judiciary is a dream? Because salary pakka will be 1/2 of what you might be getting now?
Because you can come in private at any time but in govt there is an age limit. Ek hi life sab try kar lena chahiye. Kitna marzi paisa kamalo, phli chiz jo atki hai dimag hai vo hmesha satati rhegi. On a lighter note, it is a personal choice.