Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
A really dumb guy whom I know with average gpa and cv got his acceptance to Colombia University. He couldn't clear any job interviews despite sitting for every interview being in a tier 1 nlu. Struggled to study. Many average struggling law school colleagues are securing admissions to elite law schools in US and even UK (LSE, QMUL)

How is it possible for these many people to get this LLM? It used to be elite where only the best in law school went.

Or did the standards really drop down?
And how does this bother you?

Interviews in US does not test your mugging skills like they do here.

They ask behavioural and competency based questions and not like whats mentioned in section 42 of the XYZ act.

So stop being a jealous cry baby and be happy or the best would to stop caring about others.

And GPA is one factor. There are various other factors such as SOP, strong references, community service, interviews.

I hope this makes you sleep at night and help you little with your insecurities.
While it's true that they don't test your mugging skills, it's also important to be hard-working and focused. Eloquence will only get you so far, at a certain point you have to sit down and do the work. As someone else has said on this thread, money is the answer. Need a good SOP? Pay someone (I know this is disgusting, but it happens). Need good references? Money. Need fancy community service in other countries on your CV even if there are people in your own locality who need help? Money. Non-technical interviews that test your language skills instead of your competence are a breeze for anyone who has grown up in a family that speaks English with ease. This is a result of privilege, not effort or competence
section 42 of the Arbitration Act is really interesting, only courts where the case was first instituted have the jurisdiction to try subsequent matters related to the proceedings. There are interesting judgements on its overlap with seat, etc...........

But yea LLM toh yaise hand out kar rahe jaise free ho.

Rich peeple stuff i think
Money is the answer to all your doubts. It has nothing to do with merit.
US LLM's were never a big deal. US LLM's are more like a Jindal LLB. Do you have money? Accepted.

US LLM fees and living expenses come around rs. 1 crore + and unlike Canada or Australia settling and repaying the loan with an American job is difficult because of immigration restrictions. So competition is very low.
1. Columbia isn’t as selective as Harvard or Yale or Oxbridge. Same for LSE.

2. Reference letters matter.

3. Stop judging others. Spending a year abroad for an LLM is better than working like a slave for a Lala firm. And if you work in a very clerical legal department then you will gain more knowledge during an LLM.
Even Harvard and Oxford are not as difficult as in the past. Have seen average kids getting there.
Which is why always look for people with scholarships rather than just an LL.M.
Columbia* not Colombia. Maybe the 'dumb' guy got in because he knows the difference.
Not saying that the people who got in are dumb but I have also seen an increase in the number of people pursuing LLM from US universities. Would anyone mind telling which unis are worth spending the 1 crore it takes to do an LLM in US.

I guess you could say that Harvard and Yale are definitely up there. What about Stanford, UPenn and Michigan?
Post COVID, these college are running dry. They'll give your nan a LLM if she's ready to pay full fees.
A 10-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.