Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
I am adding some background to help give the commentators a better insight into the situation. [Bombay/ Mumbai, 2-PQE, Have always lived in the city, no plans of moving]

1. I have been associated with my current senior's Chambers for almost two years now. Decent person, truly understanding, considerably supportive/ accommodating. My grief, in addition to the age-old peanut-pay is the limited exposure that I get in terms of appearances. Yes, I do get small-time applications here and there, but mostly adjournments. Respectfully, like any other sane individual, I do not count those as constructive appearances. In addition thereto, the work at this particular Chamber is of a very specific kind. To each their own, but I want to gain substantial exposure to as many facets of litigation as possible, latest by 5-PQE.

2. I have made up my mind to leave the present Chambers soon, and have been applying, for the want of a better word, in a haphazard fashion. At times, just bullishly hitting "send", without really concerning myself with other aspects such as pay, work-culture, etc.

3. Despite negligible appearances, I have gained significant drafting experience, and my strategies are taken into consideration, with due feedback being provided.

4. I am not looking into Dispute teams of Tier 1/2, even remotely. This is for additional context, if deemed necessary.

Here are a few questions for peers and seniors alike, particularly the ones who are into litigation.

1. What should I expect moving to a small/ mid law firm, given my Chamber background. If possible, please answer in terms of: (a) culture, (b) exposure, (c) working hours, (d) any additional aspects you deem fit.

2. Would a firm as above be more conducive towards professional growth in terms of gaining experience and exposure, or should I try my hand at some other Chambers?

3. Any tips/ additional comments you would consider adding.

Thanks for reading. Anticipating replies.
I love how we law students ultimately develop the habit of writing in pointers. It's just so clean.
Have heard that the law firms you're looking ain't got much to offer in terms of appearances. They straight out engage counsels (designated and non-designated too)

Do you're due diligence before you jump ships
Koi bolo bhai

Idhar career progression ki soch ke annihilation ke steps ho rahe hai
Peeps just be bumping the thread, no answers yet

Take one for the team, OP (And come back here to update lol 🫠🙃🫠)