Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Hi guys, would appreciate some help here. I am a student of a top 5/top 6 NLU. I want an internship with an MP on my CV as I want to apply for scholarships abroad. I know that past Rhodes, Chevening, Felix, DAAD etc scholars have done such internships. Plus, I need variety on my CV as it's too corp law focused.

I am personally a political conservative and BJP supporter, but I want to intern with a left-liberal INDIA alliance opposition MP as that gives more credibility when applying abroad. I also want to intern with an English-speaking MP, as English is the only language I am comfortable working in. I made the shortlist below. I had Mahua Moitra and Praful Patel as well, but I have removed Mahua as she is likely to be expelled and Patel because he is about to join the BJP.

Any suggestions on who I can add to the shortlist? Also, more importantly, how do I apply? Do I just call/email their office? Is an NLU tag enough? Do I need to go through a contact?

- Shashi Tharoor

- AM Singhvi

- KTS Tulsi

- Raghav Chaddha

- Gaurav Gogoi

- Derek O'Brien

- Priyanka Chaturvedi

- Manish Tewari

- Karti Chidambaram
Not sure, but I've heard attempting via LAMP might be helpful if you've policy making in mind. But again, I believe you'd be allotted an MP and won't get to choose.
LAMP is for people who have already graduated and lasts for a year. So only good for people applying for master's after a year, rather that law students looking to apply after graduation. Also as pointed out, you can't choose your MP.

One thing you can do is just apply to the AAP legal cell. They are more receptive than Congress and BJP. AAP also looks nice on the CV. But do not work with any TMC MP. This party is facing tons of corruption cases and is a bad bet for CV enhancement.
+ Vivek Tankha , Senior Advocate (Congress)

+ Jawhar Sircar, retired senior IAS officer (TMC)

+ Saket Gokhale, professional ▮▮▮ and ▮▮▮ ▮▮▮ (TMC)
Getting an internship in Tharoors office is virtually impossible at this point. He hasn't taken much interns.
For foreign scholarships, Mahua is still your best best and ticks all the right boxes: female, articulate, media-savvy, published an anti-Modi article in NYT and performatively woke. The others are mostly boomers (barring Raghav and Priyanka) and many have centre-right views (like AMS and to an extent Tharoor).

I don't think Mahua will be expelled. Her matter has been referred to the Ethics Committee and not the Privileges Committee. Only the Privileges Committee can expel, the Ethics Committee can only censure. And if the TMC suspends her she will be welcomed to the Congress, which was her original party. So her career remains strong.
A 10-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.