Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Same as the header. What all sub-groups (e.g. real estate, labour and employment, etc.) fall under this team? Does it change from firm to firm?
Everything under the sun comes under GC; the clueless kids (usually toppers) during their campus placements think that GC means M&A and then crib when they underperform due to this at the T1 firms.
If that is the case, how does one get to do M&A and PE work, considering that there is only one "general corporate" practice area in firms like Khaitan and Trilegal?
If you join Tier-1, then there is a clear demarcation of corporate work under Gen corp and Labour & employment. But if you enter in tier-2, then I don't think there will be any clear demarcation. To answer your question, Gen corp will include due diligence (DDR) work , share purchase agreement, miscellaneous agreements, representing companies in negotiation, if the agreement relates to purchase/rental of property then preparation of lease deed, leave and license agreement which also requires prior due diligence of property papers, compliances under various laws, research work for any matter, coordinating with lit team in case of any dispute arising out of any agreement vetted by you, replies of notices received by your client, termination/on-boarding related queries and paper work. In case, there is no clear demarcation, then you will also have to work on labour compliances like compliance of professional tax, labour welfare fund, contract labour regulation wherein you have to prepare excel sheets etc. Any other work which your client has asked you to undertake then that as well. Also, this is excluding secretarial work for which there is a separate CS team. I hope this answer your queries, in case of any doubt, do post it here.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I just have one question- how to work in M&A in a tier 1 firm? Is it through Gen Corp or is there any other way?
If asked about your team - always say Transactions/M&A team and not General Corporate team. Hope this helps!
Depends on the team you are working for. There are teams which have hardcore M&A practise and ancillary work is the above mentioned. And agree with the SA comment, it's actually transaction/MA which is the umbrella, agreements and other stuff is ancillary part revolving around transactions. If you are still in clg, then please do extensive research on the teams that do M&A and intern with them. And if you have some experience, then I'll suggest you to join T2/3 firms doing similar work and gradually scale up the ladder. I hope this answer your query. Please let us know, if you have any further thoughts.