Read 33 comments as:
Filter By
Spice route legal is now offering upto 24 Lakhs to A1 and 30 lakhs to A2. I understand that its structure has huge variable components, however, even after discounting some variable payout, I think the total in-hand payout for many associates will exceed the compensation for same-level associates at firms like SAM, CAM, KCO etc.

Surprised to see that such smaller firms are offering more compensation than the so-called Tier 1 firms. Salary structure of all the big firms need a big revision.
Important thing here is to find out how many people have remained at SR to be paid!
Haha this is true, the m&a team is completely empty in Mumbai. They don't even have an office.

Easy to release salary figures when there's no employee to pay them to
Lmao their M&A team is divided into 2 sectors- healthcare and energy.. and is PRETTY ACTIVE
Please don't spread fake news here. SRL is becoming one of the top firms, with all the lala firms taking a back seat. The next few years will the era of meritocratic firms like 3legal and SRL
People on LI have a negative opinion on every firm. SRL has been doing amazingly well, glad to see there's a firm competing with T1 pays.
The work SR does requires smart lawyers and so they get paid accordingly. Avg naloos at T1's are good only for DD checklists..
SR has a tier 1 NLU bias. Might accept if you are a tier 2. Other than that it does not have anything for private kids
Im from a tier 1 NLU With good grades, internship exp and publications. I was not offered an internship even with following up for months, when in the same time, Luthra, Saraf, NDA, SAM, CAM and Khaitan have offered me internships.

Very much tier 1 bias huh
Their team might have inferiority complex had you interned there. Most people who end up in SRL are from Hululu private colleges
han toh nahi haina NLU bias, that was the point. For that matter no Tier 2 Firm has such biases
Sorry for the rant, but I've been meaning to say this for a while (built up from some extremely bad experience I've had working across SRL on some matters)

It's a simple business formula that SRL follows (a lot of times at the expense of clients). They currently seem to have 70+ lawyers (as per LinkedIn), but at the same time, they have only 2 partners! 2 counsels (and they are not that senior either, 2017 grad and 2015 grad)! And just 3 Senior Associates! The rest are just associates! The reason for so many exclamation marks are that it's just extraordinary how one can run such a firm. Where foreign law firms run at a partner to associate ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 at max; and Indian firms run at perhaps 1:6 to 1:8 (which is by itself absolutely poor), how can one firm even delivery proper legal advice with a ratio of 1:35?!

They make it more sellable by saying that young lawyers get more opportunity - that's great, but at what cost? It's more important for a junior lawyer to be guided properly, rather than just giving them the exposure. Their M&A/PE team is a run by a team of 3 people (of which the most experienced associate has a 3-4 years of experience.

Of course, they will be able to pay associates money that they published about (if they perform) - because they are literally doing partner level work. It's highly probable that client advice goes without partner sign-offs, because it's impossible for a partner to do all kinds of work - M&A, investments, tech regulations, employment, litigation (!!), all this while being extremely active of LinkedIn.
Yes, their mid-level is quite weak, and they are not good for corporate, where I see your view is arising from and most likely you were across their corp team.

However, in the sectors they specialize in, I find Tier I teams lacking in those practices and don't have much understanding of tech or are active in the space. Even the Top Tier Fintech, some are too big now (RM).

Also most work does not require partner sign-offs, I would argue many Tier I firms are very top-heavy and then have to pad their bills to justify each one's existence.

Plus one more thing is that SRL clients tend to be much less sophisticated or with compliance background legal teams, or minimal legal teams where they build direct relationships with founders. Due to the sectors they operate in after a while the client becomes dependant on them. Therefore, they are able to charge hourly fees and don't have to do capped matters, due to which If I have to guess it is probably one of the most profitable corporate practices in India.

What you said about young lawyers, is true to some extent, although again I would argue as a young lawyer, it is better to join SRL and build your own network. They clearly promote their talent well both rankings, giving face time with client etc. it is obviously not meant for everyone but someone ambitious and good this is a very good opportunity. I have personally experienced that Tier I have multiple layer of equity partners, there is no space to grow into. As someone at a SA level you will find a pretty hard ceiling to break once you become JP, they don't promote their Junior Partners while SRL is promoting their SA.

I think SRL will continue to grow, my biggest gripe with them is I scrolled their website recently, and it feels like visual appeal is also a factor they consider when hiring.

I don't disagree with your points, I just thought I will add what I think basis my interaction with SRL and other Tier I firms, and I have been thinking about this a lot in context of evolving legal markets. Ikigai is different but has many similar things going for itself like SRL.
But their A3 is almost as much as partners in larger firms. How can they do that?
Important to note that at SRL band 2 =/= A2. You could work there for multiple years before being promoted from one band to the next.
Band 2= A1; but you are right, underperformers do not always get promoted
Exactly high chances you'll remain in band 1 for 2 years atleast if not three.. all of this is BS..high chances with such higher component for bonus, most of the A0s will end up getting 14 or 15
Nah, they aren't getting anything more than 12L, including bonus

Insider source