Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
She said hours r long and usually 60 hours+ a week is normal but other than that most weekends r off too( yes Saturdays too) so whatever I have read here about no weekends or holidays or 80-100 hour weeks is only a percentage of corp lawyers? And can I know what percentage would that be? Thanks
I think your corp lawyer friend might be an exception here. Fortunately, she might have bumped into a decent workplace.

But I still question, why aren't we considering 60+ hours as excessive. I mean I know we can't have the ideal 40 hours per week rule (no respect for workforce, India-no political intention to stop exploitation, plus this is legal field and other factors). But I would still say, for a start, at Max we should have 50-52 hours a week work culture in legal profession in India.
Few things

A lot of the people here are absolute cry babies who want to do nothing but keep crying about "le work hours" and "WLB" with highly exaggerated figures. There are certain verticals (B&F, Projects) where the average day is long (10-11 hrs) but people here will have you believe that every single team works 80 hrs and they are getting emails at 4am and are working on 5 hrs sleep everyday. Trust me, if the situation was such, the attrition would be much much higher than it is now.

A lot of the stories I read here just turned out to be blatantly untrue after I joined a T1 a couple of years back. This makes me think LI is full of pretentious law students and wannabes that have no idea of how things work and are simply parroting hearsay.

Law firm work in most practice areas is cyclical. You will have weeks or months of intense back breaking work followed by a week of absolutely nothing but mucking around and correcting grammatical errors in a non consequential report.

And lastly, you can do this job. Humans do this job. Many of them survive, some even thrive and for a lot of the newer NLU batches filled with students from middle class T2 and T3 towns are able to elevate their life within a decade or so, which is crazy. Yes, the work is quite often boring, monotonous and voluminous (especially at junior levels) but no job is 100% intellectual and fun. It is all doable and if you can endeavour to keep yourself physically and mentally fit then you can go a long way.
The people who are screwed due to working on weekends come and rant here. The folks who have free weekends are busy enjoying life and not on Legally India.

Working weekends depends on how much work your team does and sometimes the amount of work at the time of the year.
It largely depends on the team. Some partners fabricate work (often non-billable) to keep associates occupied on weekends.
She is definitely an exception. I didnt have weekends off even as an intern let alone as an associate.