Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
There's this crazy bias I face just for not being from an NLU or a known law college with not many alum in the corporate sector. My interest areas being TMT and IP, I have no options and if I do apply to places like Spice Route, Ikigai, Indus etc. I receive no response and get told some connections would help. What to do? I have applied continuously and repeatedly, a little too frequently. Any way I can catch a break? Give me a chance? I am quite consistent or is the corporate life just not for me?
See I’m not going to dismiss the existence of pro-NLU bias. But I’m gonna share my story.

I’m from a non-NLU, private institute with almost no alumni in the tier-1s and tier-2s. Regardless, I have done internships at 4 tier-1 law firms and have been accepted at numerous others. I think the mantra here is to have a solid CV which compensated for you not being from a NLU (things like high CGPA, moot achievements help). The next thing you can do is apply well in advance, take follow-ups, reach out to HRs.

A lot of times this approach will result in rejection but I think someday you might find one successful application from the 100 that you have sent. Now I’m set to begin working for one of these tier-1 law firms I interned at (PPO). So, don’t lose hope and keep on working hard because the reality is that we screwed up CLAT so we need to work twice as hard now.
I think publications in reputed journals or blogs (e.g. NLS - IJLT) would definitely help you stand out - also check out writing competitions as many of them have internships as the prizes.

Try writing intelligent responses/thoughts in comments sections of partners' posts in LinkedIn to catch their eye [ONLY if you know what you are talking about].
Not really much. I'm from a tier 1 nlu and most firms have tie ups with us. Which means they don't accept applications the direct way and so only grades matter ( top 15 to 20) putting everyone else at a disadvantage. People without tie ups stand a chance applying directly.
CLAT/AILET nikaal lena tha phir :)

No point in cribbing now and internships toh NLU walon ko bhi nahi milta w/o connections. Chill.
Hi. It’s sad but the NLU bias does kind of exist. But it should not stop you honestly.

I’m from a Non NLU and a government college with zero alumni in the big firms. I had to start inhouse, joined a Tier 3 firm, and made a switch to a Tier-1 firm where i am working currently.

You’ll need to stand out and so will your CV. Write papers, do moots, socialize and make good connections. Don’t lost hope there’s still a long way to go, just keep working hard and eventually reach a bigger firm/place wherever you want to work.