Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
The Ukraine war fucked up the global economy, with high commodity and oil prices. Now this shit happens. Will prices go up further? Global inflation and recession certain? Is India screwed big time? Also, India has joined the West in condemning Hamas, while most Islamic countries are silent and those like Iran may support Hamas under the table. Will China and Pakistan now exploit this?
Nothing. Hamas just wants to get fucked once in a while which is why they start pounding rockets!
No, this is not another Ukraine. There will just be market volatility for a few days, because Israel will wipe out Hamas easily in a few days.
Indiscriminate violence and civilian killing is unjustified whatsoever. But.... Palestine has a right to defend itself from the historic humiliation and blockage imposed on it.
Government stance should have been more nuanced than the stupid one released. India has historically always been in support of Palestine, including former BJP Prime Minister ABV (quite explicitly).
Ayn Rand on Israel:

β€œThe Arabs are one of the least developed cultures. They are typically nomads. Their culture is primitive, and they resent Israel because it’s the sole beachhead of modern science and civilization on their continent. When you have civilized men fighting savages, you support the civilized men, no matter who they are.”

https://libquotes.com/ayn-rand/quote/lbz5g6d
Ah, yes, the famous "we are civilized, you are barbarous" trope. I suggest you also read some real literature on the subject: Edward Said is a great start. Or for a Jewish woman who writes on this intractable issue, much more historically situated than the nonsense that Ayn Rand spews, Jacqueline Rose.
Same arguments were made in support of british when India was struggling to gain independence, we were the savages, britishers were the one to be burdened with the duty of reforming us.

The idea of one civilization superior to another is the justification behind the evils of colonialism, my heart bleeds to see such comments from Indians.
You cannot deny the fact that the British did weed out certain harmful traditions practised in our country (Sati, child marriage etc). They introduced railways, a sound legal system and implemented the downward filtration theory through the Western education system.

This is not to justify their brutality but to paint them as all evil is to belie facts.
Civilized men impose blockades (in the case of Israel), impose sanctions for 13 years on Iraq (even though babies are malnourished), use white phosphorous on cities (Fallujah in Iraq), which leads to babies being born deformed, even today, kill entire families (Saddam Hussein's sons and even his 14 year old grandson were not spared by America), France while colonising Algeria raped and did many more unspeakable things to the native Algerian people, and yet, leaders of these countries have the temerity to speak about Democracy and Human Rights, when they themselves are the biggest violators when it comes to the said principles. To listen to America and UK speak about Russian Imperialism is absolutely hilarious, when England colonised so many countries back in the day, and America, well, wiped out an entire race of human beings (the Red Indians) to establish what we call USA today. While violence is always to be condemned, it is wrong to expect a particular section to always continue being the victim of bullying. Iraq before the US invasion had one of the best healthcare systems in the entire Middle East, and also had top class universities, excellent highways, and the Iraqi dinar at the time was the highest valued currency in the world. It is typical American to say that a culture is primitive, but without realising that it is the Americans themselves who made them primitive in the first place with their bullying and brutality. Same with Israel and Palestine.
Did countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran (after 1979), and Afghanistan choose regressive societies because of the West? West is no angel. But you can not absolve certain ideologies of criticism.
Absolutely. You are correct. Look at the Japanese. They could have deteriorated into a backward society after WW2 and blamed the US. Instead, they chose the path of education, peace, modernity and prosperity and are superpowers for many decades. Same for Vietnam, a rising power.

We know where the rot lies...
Nobody is absolving anyone of criticism. Violence, irrespective of who commits it, is to be condemned. But why does no one condemn American attempts to impose their way of life by force upon others, while everyone condemns West Asian countries / the Islamic world, when both attempts are by force and result in casualties ? Either both are wrong or none is wrong, one cannot pick and chose here.
Always hated Ayn Rand as an 18-21 year old wet behind the ear kid with half baked idealism.

Always find her ideas ringing true in many walks of life since I've matured as a person.
Statements supporting Israel so far: USA, EU, UK, Japan, Canada, Australia, Ukraine, India, Nepal, Taiwan, Argentina

Statements supporting Palestine so far: Qatar, Syria, Pakistan, Iran, Yemen, Jordan, new Maldives President-elect.

Ostensibly neutral statements with pro-Palestine tilt: Russia, China, Saudi Arabia,

Smirking in the background: Turkey (trying to play mediator and delighted that world will now forget ethnic cleansing of Armenians)
You kids will mature with age. When I was in college, I used to sympathise with Palestine, as being a leftist and bashing Israel seemed to be the cool thing to do. I later changed my views and now support Israel strongly, because of the following reasons:

1. I have become politically conservative as I have grown older.

2. Israel helped India during our wars with Pakistan and is today one of our major trade partners. It also recognises Kashmir as a part of India. In contrast, Islamic countries often vote against India and support Pakistan at the OIC, and make speeches about Kashmir at the UN. The Palestine Ambassador to Pakistan shared a stage with Hafeeez Saeed some years ago. I don't think it's in national interest for us to choose Palestine over Israel.

3. I read about the history of antisemitism in the Islamic world. How the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem supported Hitler. I also read about the history of antisemitism among leftists and Marxists. Just read about how the Soviets spread hate propaganda about Jews, or what the RAF did in Germany. I view Hamas as an antisemitic and intolerant movement, and I have the same view of many of their supporters in the Left. I also think the Left instinctively hates prosperous and hard-working communities who believe in capitalism.

4. I think radical Islam is a big problem. I support Israel because it is a liberal and modern society, where women are free and gays have rights. I also admire Israel for its scientific progress.

Those who will downvote my comments, trust me: you will change your views as you grow older.
All agreed good sire, just one correction. There is no radical islam and non radical islam.

There are believers of Islam and those Muslims who don't believe it totally. Else Islam as a religious in its full undeterred flow is radical and only radical.
Did you get a degree in theology recently? How many Islamic texts have you read actually to come up with that laughable perspective?
Thanks, grandpa, but no thanks. We kids prefer a more just and peaceful world than your pragmatic, hard-cold, straitjacket, closed off, practical dungeon of a (bigotry-couched as reason) world.
Kidnapping women, children and the elderly + Raping women and parading their dead bodies naked + Murdering hundreds of innocent civilians = savagery.

Hamas are savages. #IStandWithIsrael
Please read for the things that Israel have regularly done in Palestine. Easy to assign savage blame when it comes to attention and ignore all other times.
To liberals defending Hamas: A group of Nepali and Thai workers were killed yesterday. You may have seen the viral videos of their dead/half-dead bodies being kicked. Please explain to me what atrocities Nepal and Thailand committed against the Palestinians. Thanks.
No one is defending Hamas dude. We are saying that it is possible to condemn INDISCRIMINATE killing of innocent civilians, rape, murder etc AND on principle agree that Israel has committed historic wrongs qua occupation, blockade, violence etc. Contrary to news reports, this is NOT unprovoked but has a long, protracted history which is conveniently forgotten and/or undermined.
Andrew Tate is supporting Palestine and raising funds for them. Tells you all you need to know about which side is good and which is evil.
What a stupid reasoning of logic. Even Gandhi, Nehru, and Vajpayee supported Palestine. Do they have something in similar with Andrew Tate?
Celebs with Israel: Gal Gadot, Kylie Jenner, U2, The Rock, Madonna, Amy Schumer, Kangana Ranaut

Celebs with Palestine: Andrew Tate, Mia Khalifa, Gigi Hadid, Swara Bhaskar
A 22-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 6-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 18-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.