Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
It is really surprising that a lot of practitioners in the legal profession kinda shudder and are full of angst when a student or even a graduate ask about the amount of stipend. Some straightaway say that it is you who have approached us for the opportunity and why should a stipend then be provided.

I mean this attitude is apt to reflect how degenerated people in this profession are. I have my friends and cousins doing internships in their fields. And they kind of snort when I tell them about how much we slog in our profession and there are times we are straightaway told such things by the organisation that we don't pay stipend, and then there are times when we don't know the amount of stipend even if there is any. Needless to say, our stipend also generally range within the bracket of Rs. 5k to 10k mostly. While in other profession, 10k or 15k is just the starting point. The vast difference in amount of investments in legal profession or maybe IT field, and then such type of commercial value in the market, makes me really question that why haven't the things changed even in 2023 for legal profession?

Am I wrong to raise such genuine concerns?
Installed Lawctopus. Terrified to see so many internship experiences posted with No Stipend as the striking part of the notifications.
You're there to learn not earn. It's an internship, not a job. You are not entitled to any remuneration. Forget about internships, try litigating, and see how much you earn in the initial years. God, I hate entitled new gen lawyers, always comparing law with STEM careers. Law is not lucrative, never was, never will be !
Legal profession is one with too many job-seekers and barely any job-creators. Indian population lacks innovation and scientific aptitude, at the same time, Indians are highly argumentative and political which makes Law and UPSC the preferable career options, creating a deficit of job-seekers in software, medicine and engineering research (which are the jobs that pay the most).

Ultimately, we need to privatise education in STEM so that quality of education improves and not everyone has to sacrifice their childhood and mental health for JEE/NEET and we desperately need population control bill.
Truth is, if you want to earn well in the profession, you have to love the grind and be resourceful. You must have either the ability to learn quickly and grasp the opportunities or just be gifted. Because you can only grind for so long if you do not really love doing this or are not good at it. The money factor pushes people away from this profession quickly and the terrible work hours add cherry to the top.

Talking about stipend which is your main concern, if you develop and rapport with the person and they are open minded ( rare in legal field "sigh"), they will pay stipend.

Alternatively, look for internships which pay (not many exist). Assessment interns get paid though in good law firms.

Majority firms (excluding the top firms) pay 10-15k and max 35-40k to 0-3 PQE. No one cares and that amount doesn't mean much over time.

Please learn other skills on the side or keep grinding and get a corporate/inhouse role.

Hope this helps.