Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
I see many bright students from top NLUs totally avoiding law firms. Not only do they not register for campus placements, but they don’t even intern at law firms. I know someone from a top NLU who does not have any law firm on his CV despite getting excellent grades in company law, tax law, IPR etc. This type of attitude forces firms to recruit from lower NLUs and hire mediocre people.

I really don’t know where this anti-law firm sentiment is coming from. Rants against law firms on LI should be ignored. It’s important to remember that law firms give you fantastic exposure and experience. A think tank or NGO or academia will never give you that. The salary scales there are also pathetic. Yes, law firm life involves hard work but trust me it goes down as you become a partner. Don’t you want to earn well, wear nice clothes, eat at luxury restaurants and wear luxury watches? Girls won’t even look at jholawalas! I worry that Gen Z is averse to working hard and getting too influenced by left-wing anti capitalist ideology.
Why? Because they are not scared to call out the toxic culture of law firms? Is wearing luxury watches more important than peace of mind and being treated like a decent human being?

Also - girls can buy their own stuff, there's more to it than not carrying a jhola!
You need to educate yourself in economics and psychology, and you'll get the answers you are seeking. Very briefly, from an economic standpoint, the salaries offered at law firms, given the stress involved, simply aren't worth it. You need to be either time rich or money rich, law firms won't make you either (at least at entry levels). Additionally, if one is inheriting wealth, law firms literally become a waste of time, since there's no social prestige associated with these positions. But more importantly, from a psychological standpoint, aware people avoid law firms since they take away control of your time, and therefore your life. Deciding how to spend your time is one of the chief happiness ingredients. Law firms rob you of it.
This is the most insightful and smart comment I’ve read in ages. Would love to connect.
all that is fine and well, but how will I impress randos on this anonymous forum with my alleged Patek Phillipe?
Why TF are you trying to convince everyone? Mind your own damn business ffs. Gen Y people have this itch to convince (and even force) everyone to do what they believe to be the best way.
Lol, no one remembers the richest people from 2000 years ago but they remember the thinkers from then even today. So you can kindly FO with your luxury watches.
Richest person from 2000 years back was Marcus Crassus, there are hundreds of movies, shows, books, documentaries about him….
Not OP but heard of him for the first time and I presume it is the same for any random sample of 10 people. If you ask them if they know Aristotle, Socrates, Plato or Marcus Crassus, perhaps 9 out of 10 will answer the former.
What do you mean that lower nlu all are mediocre? This classist mindset wont take you anyway. Even try writing clat you might also not get a seat in lower nlu t2 nlu in UR category. Also what exposure does law firm give , exposure in the name of exploitation for 12-15 hour without being appreciated. also casually sexism, public humiliation etc are part amd parcel of so called T1 law firms. Further there is no objective assessment in law that this quality is quessential for being successful and getting into top or law firm. All we have seen people with no achievement into law firm due to jack or partner juggad. So we all know how law firm work dont gives us gyaan ki law firm mae kaaam kara toh achieve karliya this ain't judiciary or ias exam
He/she is right in a certain way. Maybe you are so myopic that you can’t figure out the fault in tier-2 nlus yet. Things have become classiest anyway after tier-3 nlus sucking miserably and it’s a domino effect now. Tier-2 job opportunities are minimal to say the least. Yes getting a seat maybe difficult in tier-2 nlu UR but the conditions are much better in Tier-1!
You are absolutely right and those mediocre people slow down the firm’s prospect anyway. But I think tier-1 nlu toppers are absolutely correct choosing respect and money over….only money lol.

Corporate law firms are cool but maybe our AZBs or CAMs need to learn from HSF or Skadden
how so various t2 grads are ias, judges and have cleared uosc also some are also at oxford, Harvard and won some good international moot. it just prejudicial mindset that make one think that t2 are not good enough
It's really easy to attract talent, improve your work environment. Also, the pay should be commensurate to the work extracted not the budget as per the desparate quote made by failing partners who can't stand their ground.

The TAT can't be yesterday always, you should respect your colleagues and more importantly provide them with adequate training not throw them in the deep end of the pool.
Law firms don't even pay that much. Throwing pennies and pretending it is the best deal ever is indicative of larger malaise in the system.
Well, toppers at the best nlus are hardworking, and they like the law. They like having their brain being turned on. Even if you are the best recruit for a law firm in a year- you will still get bogged down by awful due diligence nonsense work. That doesnt turn anyones brain on. Why would someone with a legal education want to spend their time on that when they could spend their time researching and writing for supreme court opinions, researching and advocating for new laws/ legal reform, solving complex on the ground problems working in NGO or being among similarly academically motivated people and continuing to learn at an LLM?

Like these honestly people dont reject law firms because theyre too lazy to work there. Thats just the sentiment on here cause no one here has left the firm life, people in all of those careers also work very long hours- the work is just more interesting. these people also dont reject law firms because of some perceived toxicity- theres plenty of that in policy spaces/ academia/ whatever. The reason toppers reject law firms is because the work is uninteresting until you become a senior associate and thats much too much time to waste for a young lawyer. These are not folks that are easily motivated by money or clothing/ luxurious things- they like the law. They didnt come into it with materialistic aspirations to start with. why would they give in to them now?
Apart from the flawed operating mechanism of law firms that other comments have already pointed out, another major issue with these law firms is lack of consideration to pay interns. A majority of such law partners benefit hugely on the efforts carried by not just junior associates but also interns. Not just associates are paid less, but also interns return empty-handed after slogging so many days in the office of these firms (weekends are also working, for most of them).

While some might get paid, the pay of Rs. 5k to 10k is surprisingly low considering the mental trauma witnessed, the accomodation expenses one puts in, and not to mention travelling expenses. I have seen people from other fields getting paid 20k as stipend while they are still in their graduation phase, and graduates of law get paid pathetically 5k even after graduation.

It is also surprising to see that some state that stipend would be paid 'on the basis of performance'. However, other profession majorly operate on the methodology of telling interns beforehand about the amount of stipend.

Law firms are similar to those short sighted grumpy advocates who don't want the profession to be equalised.
Quite different here in NUJS. Everyone here is super pro law firm and 24x7 obsessed with internships.
Sorry to say this & I don't intend to generalise, but my experience with the people from West Bengal reflect that they are immensely service oriented. A type of cultural set-up there, I guess. In contrast, people from other states especially Maharashtra, Gujarat, Delhi are focussed on making something of their own. They want to set up their own empire kind of sort.

Again, you would also notice that some legal start ups are actually founded by people who are alumni of NUJS. So, it's not that a full-proof notion that I am putting forward. Just one of the factors, in my opinion. To make it clear, I am not pin-pointing any community. Only cultural difference in terms of place.
A 23-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.