Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Idk but is it just me or everyone who is graduating this year is having this weird feeling of living abnormally? Almost more than half of college life went in Covid lockdown, and in the last year, I solely focused on internships, so not much fun life in college sadly. Now, working at a firm, I feel that neither I am ready nor 100% interested in joining professional life, at least right away. Having no friends or colleagues to hang with, away from family, is this feeling genuinely common or is it just me exaggerating?
2023 grad, joined my firm in July. Learning curve is steep but I am acquainting myself with work. Fortunately got a good team with helpful people, and am not splurging much, saving enough, so I currently feel satisfied. I do not find work terribly exciting but its new-ish and I try (and mostly fail) to take interest in my work to be on top of things.
Hi. The feeling is normal. It’s not about Covid though.

The reason college life is amazing is because you are constantly immersed in a community where you and you college mates grow up having a shared experience. But the moment you step in a law firm, you leave behind your family friends behind and start to begin a new life.

You worked hard to get into a law firm, thinking you’ll get to enjoy life a bit now with your salary, but suddenly you’ve realised how demanding the job is. And now you are feeling - shit maybe I should have enjoyed a bit more.

It’s not covid, it’s the loneliness you’re feeling when you move to a big city. People are busy working most of the time. In terms of social contacts, you’re starting from the bottom.

Maybe try taking part in community events like an art class, cycling tour, or some weekend hike. Might help you make new friends?
Your' e true maybe. I never had like a very big circle in college, was only involved with a handful of friends and we stayed together always, so was never involved in much other things actively. When I moved out, that group disintegrated and now I don't have many people to hang out with, coz they all moved out to different places.

On the work front, I don't relate with eh people at the office much, in fact the people of the city at all. I basically belong to the suburban part of the same metro city, and I really never liked to idea of working there- reason why I didn't do my college form there. But now, since I have no other option left, asides moving out to an unknown city, here I am.
Recently graduated. Declined a job offer which anyone else in my position would have accepted. Was not willing to let my life be destroyed working in a law firm.

Now unemployed. Lol. Doing internships in my preferred area of work (non-corp). But more than that I have given up on jobs, honestly. I can't take it that people in this profession can be such bad employers. Really question my decision of doing law in the first place. Would love to take an easy going job which I can do, enjoying my life with my near ones and where I would not have to move to a shitty tier 1 city.

Last wish - I enjoyed my college the most. The people, the freedom, the feeling that studying was the only major thing that I was expected to do, chilling with friends, the pranks, the late night project making, those unplanned trips, those special occasions and celebrations in the University, and what not.

Alas, we grew up! Wish I could go back and relive everything.

And now it's all messed up..
This is the worst attitude to have my friend. I am on the wrong side of 30 and loving every single day of my life.. don't get me wrong - my college life was outstanding - i didn't study, did not moot, did not do anything academic - only had a ball with my friends... looking back, those times were great for those times.. when i graduated i immediately discarded all those memories and feelings like so much offal and i focused on being the very best I can be. Which is why I am where I am now. Just another perspective :)
Maybe it was a thing a few years back when you came out, it's , most certainly not the thing now. Life has become more unpredictable than ever and no one knows what might happen next. Also, don't get me wrong either but, by the look of your reply, you either seem to have graduated from a fairly decent college or had a lot of family connections to help you in your career post your ball at college, coz most hardworking people worked all the way through college to match the competitive world today , its not 2005 anymore. People make sacrifices for a better future and there is no harm in reminiscing old times imo.
Thanks. I agree that it's up to us to continue thinking about the past or future we want to see, or enjoy the present wherever we stand. Life is long. Every moment has its own flavour. And you can ruin the moment by thinking about other times.

Will take your advice positively. Just that this job thing has really made my life upside-down. I just hope I figure out this soon.
All this aside - graduating in the pandemic was worse since at least in my uni even the placement interviews were cancelled. Job hunting was the worst.
Can we create groups for different cities to try meeting up? It's nice to see people think the same. Yeah true it's hard to not have a gang of friends with who you can have fun in the weekends or any other holidays. Plus when you have some folks from your law school in the same firm but didn't work as hard as you did due to privilege or just luck so they have the job you dreamed of + friends. Sucks