Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I have posted many queries and about myself on many threads.

I realize that in India getting a job is solely dependent on college and internships. Once the approrpriate stage has crossed then nothing much can be done.

For example, I am a 2020 Graduate in 3 years L.LB from T-2/4 city, no name college with no environment and awareness of internship and placement cells. We all were just focused on govt exams. Started to litigate in 2021 in district court under an experienced lawyer. Struggle is persistent even for lawyers 20+ years in litigation industry as far as district court is concerned.

Decided to jump to corporate law firm but I met with HUGE and impossible hurdle to cross:-

1) Non-Branded Law School

2) No internships in corporate practise areas

3) No contacts

4) No Alumni Network

5) Dull CV

6) No publications

7) Not in T-1 CITIES to gain information

I now truly understand the meaning behind african proverb "It takes a whole village to raise a child". In other words, a child is the sum total of his environment (read: city).

I maybe late, or lost case but I still hope I can get into a good law firm and work in GCA/M&A/PE/VC , and save some money to shift to Supreme / Delhi High court.

So, I am inviting comments and suggestions from Partners , Associates and experienced people working in Corporate Law Firms.

Wish you all good health,

Thanking you all,

User-01
Hi User 1,

First of all itโ€™s commendable that inspite of such odds, you havenโ€™t given up and you are still trying.

Let me tell you the biggest hurdle you will face to get a job/ even once you get a job - culture fit. This is a vague word used in the industry to gatekeep certain opportunities from people without contacts. Because even once you get into a firm, itโ€™s not just about doing the job diligently - a lot of it is about how you get along with people in the firm, and this isnโ€™t just about being humble or curious to learn, this also means being able to talk about your favourite soccer club, your favourite restaurant, your favourite trip - things which will easier for your peers because they have had a relatively elite upbringing and shared experience in law schools.

Even for you to do the job well - you will have to learn from someone. Since law firms have huge amount of work, and people are pressed for time, you will need a mentor who will lookout for you. Again, for the person to be your mentor and like, a lot will depend on how you get along with them, and this will depend on the above mentioned things.

Sure, not all law firm teams are like this. There are teams which have people from humble upbringing so they understand the struggle. But whether you land up in such a team will depend on your luck.

All the best!
You have shared very helpful and eye-opening insights into social dynamics. It is harsh to admit, but yes I have been ignoring these things.

Thanking you