Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
As a fresh graduate, I have been confused about what I really want to do. Trying my hand in corp law in an internship, I realised that I won't be able to do work with people who are full of eliteness and have a materialistic lifestyle. I guess that's what it takes for working for clients in a capitalist society. Therefore, I let go of an opportunity to work in such an environment.

Now that I am exploring other options in the legal profession, I realised that there is no pay for the work and even if you grab some paid opportunity, the pay is pathetically less. It's difficult to meet your sustenance needs with such a pay. Also, the level of work seems to be on par (or even more) than corp law.

The world is cruel. We say that capitalism wreaks havoc by distorting the distribution of resources in favour of 'haves'. But the same capitalism has become a web/trap which doesn't let you come out of its fangs.

If this system is here to stay, then what should be an approach of a normal person. Should he/she blend in? Becoming a corp slave the only option?
First - while you may not be wrong about Corporate law firms entirely - it's not fair to generalise. There were firms and partners within firms who don't subscribe to this. You may not be compelled by anyone to change your attitude or style of living. There are aberrations but not generalising and keeping your mind open may be wise.

On the non- corp side, you're again generalising by saying that side has better work. You may be extremely happy and satisfied filing A PIL and equally happy closing an M&A deal. That being said- I guess corp firms have early money. If you're good in what you do- you'll make enough money in whatever you do. I know friends who started doing policy work (where they were paid low amounts initially) but later on due to their work and reputation got involved in multiple high paying assignments with large Corporate houses in their own area of policy work.

TLDR version - keep all options open and experiment. You may find good work and pay in all areas.