Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
So, I am basically a 4th year law student from a Tier-3 NLU who intends to set his own shop in the upcoming decade. I wanted to know how am I going to get Corporate Clients for my Law Firm (Do I tap in the GCs?). I don't wanna' let those ▮▮▮ firms steal off my labour and ▮▮▮ around while I am slogging my @$$ and earning them profits with HUGE BILLABLES. Also, when is the earliest I can do this? I mean immediately after the graduation? 5 years? 10 Years? What is a reasonable time?
It's fantastic that you're bold enough to think about setting up your own firm. The journey ahead will be incredibly enriching, filled with challenges, learning, and growth.

However, remember that success in this field requires consistency, dedication, and years of hard work. In the beginning, don't stress about landing big corporate clients. Start with whatever cases come your way, no matter how small, and focus on delivering exceptional results for your clients.

Want to know a secret? Word of mouth is the best marketing in our profession. Today's small client could be tomorrow's corporate vice president, bringing significant business your way. That's the beauty of our profession: you build one connection at a time and grow alongside them.

Here are some fun anecdotes to inspire you:

- - A top corporate lawyer in India once assisted a dentist with his legal work.
- - A rising corporate litigator started by handling Section 138 notices for dishonored cheques.
- - A renowned senior counsel in the Supreme Court for tech matters once sought work from chefs at hotels, hoping to tap into their network.

Building a law firm is a fascinating journey with relatively low risk compared to other ventures. And as we step into an era where technology will revolutionize our profession, embracing and integrating tech into your practice from the outset will set you apart. Focus on future-proofing your practice, and don't get too caught up in what others are doing.

Lastly, a word of caution: joining a larger practice initially can offer rapid learning and invaluable mentorship. The early years are formative, and having guidance can shape your foundation as a lawyer. While big law firms might feel like a factory process, joining a smaller firm or working under a seasoned senior can provide a more personalized learning experience. Your first boss will significantly influence your approach, so choose wisely! 5 years with a senior lawyer who facilitates your growth and nurtures your ambition will go by in a blink of an eye!

Best of luck on your journey, and remember to always stay true to your vision and values. Remember, money is fleeting. Never compromise your integrity for more money. Shine bright my friend!
Ensure you work with full dedication and sincerity for that decade. Remember despite tough times or bosses or places - you're in the service industry and not a job. By the time the decade ends - you'll be sorted.

Remember what Rancho said and follow it :)

All the best and cheers mate!