Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
How do you keep in control of your phone usage!?

How do you manage social media!?

I think i might be a phone addict. My daily screentime is

Instagram-2-2.5 hours

Reddit-2 hours

How do you manage it!? I dont want to cut it all off because i would like to be in touch with some people via instagram and occasionally see some good memes on reddit. How does one control it !? Is there a way to cut them down around 20-40 mins a day or even less.

There's one thing i noticed when i open an instagram or reddit, i think of using it just for 5 mins but i get so glued that i dont know how 1 hr has passed. I also indulge in rage searching or looking through post when i am emotionally triggered or sometimes i am triggered via something on internet . I loose myself and awareness using these apps.

Should i start from cutting all social media off and then introducing them after 3-4 months in moderation ??

Has anyone able to get through with this problem!? I will really appreciate some inputs.

Honestly, i am not a very disciplined person, how does one cultivate discipline? The time i give to social media could be better utilised in my career or hobies.
Cold quit, like I did. Delete your accounts entirely. If you want to stay in touch with people you've met, give them your number and establish touch over WhatsApp before deleting your accounts. Those who want to stay in touch, will.

I cold quit Instagram and Facebook in May, never been saner. Also joined and quit Twitter during the pandemic. Never made a Reddit or Snapchat account to begin with. Additionally quit my law school WhatsApp class group and I don't join any newly created or circulated groups until there's something useful for me there.

The first step to all this is to get rid of FOMO and curiosity about what others are doing with their lives. Before cold quitting, I had followed a model for nearly three years where I would normally not have the Insta app on my phone but only install it once every 3-4 months to post something. On those days I found myself scrolling Insta for even 7-8 hours.

Now the only digital addiction I have is YouTube and I've been trying very hard to get rid of it, including time blocking apps.

Quitting social media:

Pros: sanity, saving time, reducing novelty bias and increasing attention span, increased self-esteem and self-sufficiency, reduced political debates with idiots in comment sections leading to peace of mind (except LI?)

Cons: missing out on trends, good memes and knowing what your friends, classmates and schoolmates are up to

Hope this helps. All the best!
Thanks that really helps putting thing in perspective. I am gonna go off from everything.

Btw again i have one question, what about dating apps!?

I am gay so unlike straight people, i dont have unlimited choices in dating. I have to go online to meet people of my kind.How should one go about it !? How should dating apps be handled so that they dont become an addiction.I have found myself being hooked to grindr.

I also think there are deeper issues with my phone addiction i dont know.
Yeah, I still use dating apps (I am a cis-het woman). One way to limit your usage is to give your self a count of how many swipes (right/left) you can have per day, or say per 12 hours. Another is to turn off notifications and give your matches your number to text on WhatsApp (after establishing that they're not catfishes or creeps). I don't understand 'talking phases' or 'situationships' that drag on for weeks wherein it's apparently awkward or a 'big step' to ask for their number or share yours