Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
I am a first-generation lawyer, currently in my final year (CLC). As I do not have any contacts, I have been researching partners in my preferred practice area and sending them e-mails requesting them for an internship opportunity.

So far, I have not received any response. Can anyone tell me if sending cold e-mails like this works? Do partners bother opening their emails from students?

Is there a way I can score a decent internship in any other way? Help!
Bump. And should one send Emails to partners or associates related to chosen area or head HR or partners with HR in CC? how to continue after 2-3 follow-up mails?
Firms have a freeze for the 2024 batch and are not hiring. Try mailing smaller firms you have interned before at.
I had a partner forward my application further and the HR still rejected it. :P

Although it depends and is purely up to chance so do take a shot.
The partner must have merely forwarded it without personal recommendation
Don’t think unless you have a source or your cv is exceptional the partner will make a personal recommendation
With the number of applicants, nothing less than an exceptional cv is accepted. Also there's nothing that hard or "exceptional"? Just study the damn law and get marks
Don’t think unless you have a source or your cv is exceptional the partner will make a personal recommendation
Same! In fact, I met the partner at a conference and talked to him, and I asked him if he could help with an internship. He even gave me his business card and told me to send him an email. Later, I sent him an email, which he forwarded to HR, who rejected it!
What you should do is to work on cover mail with HR saying I am interested in so and so and I know Mr/Ms. ___ works extensively in the area blah blah. You have a better chance that HR may forward to the partner asking whether they are interested.

Honest ans : will open a cold mail if and only if I have nothing else on my plate and it came at that exact time.
Cold emails do work. Just involves a lot of luck. You can maximize your chances by sending mails at a relatively free time for the partners (sometime right before or after lunch). I know someone who got a SAM internship through a cold mail within a day of sending that email. At the same time the person got no responses from 15 other partners and the responses that did come through ended up nowhere because the HR rejected the application subsequently.

Best you can do is just draft thoughtful emails, because even if the partner ends up opening the email, it has to be a compelling one to stand out amongst the hundreds of applications. Try to make the email personalised in some way, whether it's some case they worked on, how it relates to something you probably published or did a moot regarding. Just think it through.

Once that's done, try to send it at a time when you would reasonably expect a law firm partner to entertain emails that do not concern work. Baaki bhagwaan bharose.