Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
Ganesh Shastri was woken up in the middle of the night. Disoriented, he tried to make sense of who was calling out to him. He put on his glasses, turned on the table light next to his bed, and looked at Mirza, his secretary, who seemed to have awoken him. "Sir, the President is dead!"

-----

"They say it's a stroke, Ram", said Shastri, "he looked perfectly fine yesterday. I'm just... shocked...."

"It's a shock to everyone, Ganesh" replied Ram, and then quickly glanced at Sashikala. The Prime Minister and the Chief Justice were informed of the tragedy and immediately requested to come to the Rashtrapati Bhavan.

As Shastri saw a faint ray of sunlight in the sky from his office window, still deeply shook, there was a knock on his office door. "Come in!"

"Sir, we have arranged the press release", informed Kiran, the secretary to the President.

"Very well, thanks Kiran."

"One other thing, Sir. You will have to move to the President's office, and also appoint an acting Vice President" said Kiran.

"Very well, I'll get to it."

As Kiran left the office, it seemed to Shastri, for a second, that she gave a remonstrating look at Ram and Sashi. He wondered if it implied something. Perhaps it's nothing, and he just needs sleep. Or, maybe, it has to do with what Naik had shared with him a few days ago. That a major amendment was in the pipeline. Was Naik's death really of natural causes? The Director of AIIMS strongly reassured Shastri personally that there was no foul play involved. Good timing for Naik. He did not have to sign that godforsaken amendment. But now it's stuck with him.

---

It has been three days since Naik's death, and the piercing sense that there is something undiscovered about his untimely demise continued to haunt Shastri. Not least considering that he was informed by the Russian President, when the latter had called to convey his condolences, that there were a few urgent matters that he had to inform Naik of right away. When he pressed his counterpart on what they pertained, he was only informed that it is of grave concern directly concerning Shastri, and that it would be best if he came to Moscow personally.

"I can't possibly do a state visit at this time, Nikita. It is inappropriate, and also I'm not sure of the necessity" Shastri had bemoaned.

"I understand that Ganesh. But what I have to share with you is not only urgent but gravely important", protested Nikita Vladislav, a man who had had a great rapport and friendship with Naik, and also Shastri, on previous occasions. "How about this? There is a development conference happing at Tashkent next Wednesday. Many heads of states are flying in for that. I'll get an official invite sent over to you. We can talk there."

Shastri had acquiesced, if only to not seem obstinate at the face of "grave concerns." Everything is a "grave concern" in this new digital age. But Shastri did not want to take a chance, just in case it was, even remotely, a "grave concern".

---

Next Monday

"I am sorry, Madam Prime Minister. But I just cannot assent to that. I have no other choice than to resign if you do pass this in the parliament. I just cannot be a party to these amendments" rebuked Shastri. The Prime Minister had requested an appointment with him very early in the day to discuss government business. As he feared, it was about the proposed amendments, which she promptly brought soon after the usual pleasantries.

"But Sir... This is the best cour..." she was about the say, before Shastri cut her mid-sentence, "I'm sorry, I just cannot. Now if you will please excuse me, I have another meeting already scheduled."

Sashikala looked pale, and then crimson-faced. She walked out of the room in quite an angry stride.

---

Tuesday:

As Shastri was perusing a paper in from him, listing the official recipients of this year's Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards, he could not get rid of the ominous feeling that has been haunting him ever since he was awoken by Mirza that fateful night. It always found a way to return.

A knock on the door...

"Yes, come in" beckoned Shastri.

"Sir, some bad news" informed Kiran. "The scheduled Air India One seems to have encountered an engine issue. And stupidly enough, they did not think of pre-arranging an alternative. They have arranged for the MI-17 chopper to take you to Tashkent tomorrow."

"Ah, I see. No worries, that's fine Kiran. Let them go ahead."
Brilliant - great subtle parallels to actual events, please keep going!