Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
Am getting nirma for law. Is it worth the cost and living outside campus in a private hostel/shared flat ? Or should I opt for the local state University at my hometown? Will Nirma law school give me a good training in the course and get me where I want to be in after 5 years? Alumni/ students please respond. Any comment would be helpful. Thanks :)
Hi, here's my take on your query, being a Nirma passout, I think I am better equipped to address your query. Will Nirma provide you that platform/tools to compete with your peers from pan-India law schools, so the short answer is yes it will! But it all depends on you, how are you using the platform/tools to upskill yourself. "Local state University" has produced some of the best legal minds (including sitting Supreme Court Judges, Senior Advocates etc), I personally know someone who has studied from GLS and is now doing much better compared to peers from tier I law school, of course there would be more friction in the latter compared to Nirma but if you have what it takes then what college you go to simply does not matter.
As a person graduated from Tier 3 NLU, I would not suggest taking nirma or any tier 3 nlu. Even for that matter, some Tier 2s also. It is better to take a decent university in a Metro city (Delhi/Mumbai/Bangalore). The University won't be hard on academics and you will get freedom to intern part time at various places. Explore legal field to the point, that you would be able to compete with tier 1 NLU student (Provided you work hard and build network throughout your law school journey).

And since you mentioned Nirma, I assume you have moolah for the same. My suggestion - if you are from Gandhinagar/Ahmedabad, it would be good choice to go for Nirma considering the investments which might be restricted to tuition fee and similar charges. (I don't know whether hostels are compulsory; have heard that you have arrange on your own for accomodation).

Just be mindful of this, law predominantly is not a very remunerative profession in the initial stages (unless you go for corporate law firms). So invest your money after due deliberation.
I am not from Ahemdabad, not from a metro city too... nirma doesn't have hostels in campus for students, will have to rent outside. Also, am pretty sure, don't want to get into corporate law, hope to join litigation team in a firm initially and then to a counsel's chamber eventually with a hope to build my own practice.What do you suggest I do ?
In that case, according to me, Delhi would be your best bet (assuming you are from Hindi Heartland). If you are from states like Maharashtra/ Karnataka/ Kerala/ West Bengal or Tamil Nadu, you can choose amongst decent private or state universties in these states itself, provided you know regional language. Regional language plays an important role in practice.

Wherever you decide to choose university, take into consideration whether the city offers enough opportunities for you to intern in litigation space side-by-side your academics.

Delhi is the hub of litigation and therefore, I repeat, it makes a perfect case for you. However, whether you harness the locational advantage and get into litigation space graciously, will entirely depend upon your hardwork in these 5/6 years.