Read 5 comments as:
Filter By
Can someone pls make a list of dos and donts. I've been applying at various T1 firms through friends, recruiters, cold msging partners on whatsapp but i don't think its working.

I do realise a one year gap in my CV is not helping. But I'm sure many like me have gotten into firms. Pls help!
Keep applying. But if there is one year gap in your CV then you should remedy that. And that not require you to just look at one place (law firms), but other places like litigation chambers, policy and consulting domain. Keep your options broad and start with whatever you get (definitely not take an option where you are compromising like hell on almost on all front).

Even start with internships if you get some good ones. It's better than doing nothing. Once you are in the market, in whatever position, you will have capacity to sell your services in a better way and possibly get hired soon.
For me it was quite random. I got no response for 6 months when I was applying through recruiters. Got my first interview after sending a cold email to the partner (I knew the team had vacancy at my level). Then I got interview at another firm by texting the PA on WhatsApp (had no referral or any contact with the PA, just knew that there was a vacancy in the team).

As per my experience, keep trying one way or the other, don't rely completely on the recruiter. Once the recruiter has sent your CV to the firm, you can ask for the name of the Partners with whom the positions are available and then can directly mail to them (the recruiter will still get their cut so its a win-win).

Also, try to address the reason for the one year gap you have in your CV (be honest and clear, don't make things up or you will get caught in the interview)