Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
How to approach a partner or somebody from the legal team on linkedin to get a job or even ask for a vacancy?

What is the right way to message them without seeming stupid
1. Be open and transparent about your intentions. 2. Don't try to massage their ego. Everybody sees through it. 3. Research the practice and kind of work the partner does. No point in emailing a B&F partner about an internship with your interest in competition law/M&A etc. 4. Be patient. They are receiving several applications in a day probably. 5. Send a writing sample or showcase something which proves your interest in that area. Stand out. 6. Offer to be a part of an interview even if the firm doesn't have such a system in place for internships. 7. Don't have typos in your application or CV. 8. Do some digging around on the team. Maybe the PA is a better person to email.
9. Avoid copy pasting the same thing to everyone.

10. Do basic research - if the person looks like one of a particular gender don't use the opposite title of ma'am/ sir.
9. Be careful when copy pasting. You will be surprised how many e.mails / linkedIn messages I get with the name of the wrong firm. 10. Pay attention to gender, do not address a female Partner as Mr.
Hello @Partner Sir above,

Hello @Female Partner Madam above,

I need some guidance and to talk to someone experienced in corporate law firm. Can we talk somehow?

(Little Background:- 2020 Law Graduate , 3 Years Course, No-name college in tier -2/3 city, no internship or exposure to corporate world. prepared for judicial services, could not make it . Now litigating under a senior adv in district civil court. Want to jump ship to corporate law firms due to financial stress)

Thanking you,

User-01
I am a partner at A*B. We do keep getting the messages of LinkedIn. We do reply directing to the message and request the candidate to drop email on HR id. There have been instances when we have directly called the candidate for internship as well as interview. It largely depends on timing. The best way would be write to senior / principal associate and request them if they can help. Be mindful that only those people will help who have been through the journey themselves. Don’t expect any response and don’t even chase partners/ associates who have been served on a platter and have paid a ton to get admission in likes of Jindal’s/ Amity or have come from

International quotas.. they will surely not help you.. so please watch out for those partners/ associates who making it on their own.. all the best..
Not everyone from JGU was a spoilt brat (scholarships are a thing), some people did everything they could to secure a job. Some didn't get a PPO and interned for months before securing a job.
They should have invested the 40 lakhs into an FD over 5 years, go to a government college and then start litigating while living off that interest for a few years till they start earning. That would have been a wiser move.
Jiggles Scholarships are such a huge thing that a university that does PR even for a sneeze, never came up with any stats over 12 years about how much total scholarships have been awarded in any given year, or how many students got benefited by that scheme and to what extent. Smokescreen, that's all.
But most jgu are from upper middle class even the people getting highest scholarship. It very tough to sustain in Jgu as farmer's son/ daughter
Hi, am a partner at 3legal and long time LI user. Email us directly or you may even drop us a text and ask us for a call. A lot of us have our numbers listed on the websites (which are our work numbers).
Not sure if OP is trolling.... I (and most people I know) would not appreciate calls on my work phone from freshers or associates I've never interacted with asking for vacancies in my team. People are busy and you should always try and respect their time.

Broadly agree with the A*B partner above - if you're sending cold e-mails, then be prepared for 70% of them being ignored. Your message/e-mail will be read if the partner is looking to hire at that point in time, so unfortunately it is a luck/timing issue.

If you're looking to make a lateral move, your chances of success are much higher if you reach out to the firms/partners that you have actually come across on your deals. That way, the partner on the other side will be more than happy to have a chat. It is not the culture in India but try and getting into the habit of meeting your counterparts for informal coffee/drinks. Try and become friends with the associate(s) in other firms. That's how you develop your network and find out roles before they're advertised in the broader market.

For people who are currently in-house or otherwise don't have such contacts, try and make use of of your college whatsapp groups and/or tap into the alumni network. That's how you typically get your first break. There are also some good head hunters in the market... Vahura/Options Group etc. but those are useful for lateral moves when you already have Tier 1/ Tier 2 experience under your belt.

In the end... be polite, be professional and keep hustling. Good luck!
Not sure why you think OP is trolling. They're merely saying what works best for them
Thank you for providing this information.

Aapka practise area kya hai
A 20-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 6-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.