Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
As the title suggests, I'd be consolidating what i think an intern should know or learn while applying for a litigation internship to get that headstart

Keep in mind these are my viewpoints and I haven't had that much of experience on field but had I've learnt these things earlier I'd have gotten a headstart. Please feel free to subject this list to scrutiny and add more to it.

1. First things first is to know how to check the cause list of your matter at a particular court. Get very well versed with these things download the ecourt service app and by typing down your case number and year and the jurisdiction of your court. So if you've been assigned for a court visit w your senior just quickly check the cause list and tell him the item no (although he'd have known these things but little things like these creates a good impression leading to more work from the same senior)

2. Also you should know how to check whether the judge who is assigned to your matter is on leave or not. And do mention that in the message you'd be sending along side with the cause list message (same info can be accessed online on web just by typing judges on leave and the court you're going to)

3. Learn legalese basically legal English, i swear to god when I got introduced to drafting. This shit went over my head. Although I'm a believer of using plain English in drafts. Usually at my firm we're still using the archaic words of English. If you wanna know where to actually learn legalese just read a lotta drafts and read supreme court's judgements try to highlight words which seems foreign to you.

4. Learn how to draft a legal notice, probably if you're at a good place you'd be assigned the tasks of drafting legal notices, reply notices. The format is damn easy and you can just use sample problems and create them by yourselves if you're not doing an internship.

5. Learn how to draft a complaint most important this is one of those common works you might be assigned to. The format is damn easy but what I've noticed with drafting is essentially you're telling a story so don't get this anxiety that you can't do shit or you can't use legalese. Make sure to be very specific with your details like very specific for example if A stole an iPhone you should write it like this "That one person named "A" S/0_____ R/0____ commited pilferage of one iPhone 14 pro max 256 gb ......"

6. Once you know how to draft a complaint learn how to draft a representation to a ACP/DCP and subsequently 156(3) too.

7. And for the love of God when you've finished your research and you're sending it to your senior always make a casenote and send it with a highlighted portions of the judgement

8. Learn to do filing especially of high courts. Tutorials could be found on YouTube to learn the same.

Man I've written a blog at this point lmfao but this is almost what I think an intern should learn there's more to this i could have written more but I be feeling too lazy to type now.

Hope this thread would help you and shit